1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deion Sanders fired ... by the charter school he founded & named after himself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apparently, it's the second time it's happened in less than two months. He was also fired --- and quickly re-hired --- in October after being accused of assault.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201312/deion-sanders-fired-his-own-school-again

The school, Prime Prep in Dallas, is also under fire from the state due to shady accounting and charges of academic fraud.

Personally, I'm glad to see these sham schools go down. The AAU-ization of high school sports has become a tawdry business.

What's amazing to me --- or maybe it's not --- is that none of this seems to bleed over into his NFL Network persona. Watch him on TV, and he's still cast as good old Christian, principled Deion, mentor to wayward young men everywhere.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Almost every single goddamn charter school that participates in high school sports in our area is in some kind of legal/administrative trouble.

Transfer and eligibility screwups, continual 'confusion' over recruiting rules, financial fiascos, coaches mysteriously disappearing in the middle of seasons (and new ones appearing just as suddenly), schools changing names several times over the course of 3-4 years, etc etc.

And no administrative or coaching personnel EVER answer their phones. Never, ever, ever, ever. Not for us, not for newsside. Mail addresses always a P. O. box.

AT BEST they return a phone message within the same calendar day. Far more frequently, it's several days -- or never.

Newsside has sent reporters over in the daytime to knock on the school doors and try to catch a real human being inside. A voice on the intercom says they have to make appointments at least 2 days in advance to speak to specific personnel.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I keep picturing Tim McCarver in wait outside the school grounds, water bucket in hand.

5. Starman

For what it's worth, the newsside people report that parents wishing to contact the charter schools to discuss academic matters run into pretty much the same runaround (usually a 2-3 day process to get an answer to a single email).

Fairly often, if you send an email with more than one question, they answer (usually very briefly) the first question and act like they didn't see the others.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't there some basketball team in high in the national rankings that doesn't actually have a high school at all? I think it's a collection of home-schooled kids who all just happen to be major Division-I prospects.

7. Starman

"Findlay Prep."

Instead of "building a school the basketball team can be proud of," they just said, "fuck the school, we're going on ESPN!!"

8. SFIND

SFIND Active Member

That would be Findlay Prep, who I've covered in a local tournament before. The players live together and go to some other school.

9. Starman

From what I read in a couple articles last week, they live together in a palatial group home like UK's "Wildcat Lodge."

Whatever arrangements they make for "school," I am sure, are up to their "tutors." Har de har har.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least these schools don't have to worry about lazy teachers mailing it in. The schools are doing it for them.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Poor kids. Sounds like some kind of orphanage.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Hardly. The team is sponsored by some obscenely rich dude out in Vegas who makes sure they live quite well, and has hot prospects all over the country begging for a spot.

Findlay Prep is technically a "school", but without an actual building, a total enrollment of only about 12, each one of whom is a highly ranked basketball prospect, that spends the year flying around the country to basketball events, with the "students" somehow getting their academic requirements taken care of along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted