1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deion Sanders: Dangerously Ignorant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Nantz: "Hello, friends. I'd like to take time out -- that's time, as in Rolex -- to talk to you about a silent killer endangering America's youth: girls soccer."

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what Nantz is talking about but it took about 10 seconds to find this thru The Google. So I'm not sure why people are saying they can't find a study on the issue.

If I'm reading the info under "This Article" correctly, the study appeared on-line last January and in print in April.

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/40/4/747

Study shows that girl's soccer is No. 2 behind football in terms of the rate of concussions.

Rock Center did the following piece back in May: http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/09/11604307-concussion-crisis-growing-in-girls-soccer

Not sports related but diagnosis of pediatric concussions rose by 58 percent between 2001 and 2010 according to a study by Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/girls-soccer-not-hockey-second-most-concussions-dr-184921171.html

Hospital release on the study from last April: http://www.childrensmercy.org/Content/uploadedFiles/Departments/Press_Room/Children's%20Mercy%20Researchers%20Find%20Concussions%20in%20Children%20More%20Than%20Doubled%20From%20Ten%20Years%20Ago.pdf

Information is out there about other sports but people only want to talk about football for some reason.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nantz said a study has shown women's college soccer players are 2 1/2 times more likely to get a concussion than a college football players.

Where's that study? Because unless I'm misreading it "The majority of concussions resulted from participation in football (47.1%, n = 912), followed by girls’ soccer (8.2%, n = 159) ..." sure doesn't seem like 2 1/2 more likely to me.

4. Armchair_QB

No idea where he's getting his info. Was just pointing out that studies on the subject have been done.

it is surprising that soccer is the most dangerous sport for girls to play though. Wonder how many parents will steer their girls away from the sport.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, studies have been done. But none that have (or at least that I've been able to find) that support the stat he threw out there.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Keep Our Own Kids Safe has been working on this issue for over 15 years:

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They don't need the stats. They just need to fool enough people into repeating the lie. From Boom and AQB on this thread, we can tell that strategy is working.

8. Armchair_QB

Sorry, where did I say soccer was more dangerous than football? I never did.

I was merely pointing out that soccer is the most dangerous sport for girls to play. More dangerous than the perceived-to-be-more-violent sport of ice hockey.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's because he is talking out of the wrong end of his anatomy on this one.

It is absolutely an issue worth talking about in all sports, though football certainly has the largest issue.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A lot of the concussion issues with soccer -- male and female -- will go away when the header is banned.

The concussion issues in football are not such an easy fix.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree - the header should be banned.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe somebody who is more into soccer and its culture than I am can help out here. Is that a drastic and fundamental change to the way the game is played? It seems like it might be.

Not that I'm against the idea. I've heard it from soccer coaches, some of whom have at gotten to the point of drastically limiting the amount of work their players do on headers in practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted