1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deion Sanders: Dangerously Ignorant.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 5, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deion-sanders-doubts-nfl-concussion-problem-says-former-225011441--nfl.html

Well, now the NFL can breathe a sigh of relief. The doctors are wrong. All of them. Concussions aren't an issue for current and former NFL players. Every single player with a lawsuit pending against the league regarding issues with concussions is faking it for a payday.

Science? Meh. Safety? Meh. Prime Time craves not these things.

This is the ignorant jackass trying to pass himself off as a mentor to some young players. Maybe Merril Hoge can throw a bucket of ice water at him to wake him up. Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, Mike Webster and Andre Waters could all help, but that dead thing kinda makes it impossible.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not surprising that Deion would doubt the effects of concussions. He never hit anyone hard enough to get one.

3. Sanders and Jenny McCarthy need their own show on the O to dispense medical advice.

4. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Stunned Sanders could either be so naive, or show such lack of regard for former teammates. Well...maybe I'm not that surprised he could be such a tool.

You have 40-year-old former players who appear to be in good health physically, but suffer from bouts of severe depression, violent mood swings, memory loss, and documented neurological impairment.

A former player in his 50's told me he was driving home one night and forgot where "home" actually was. I've heard from another former player's spouse about how out of nowhere, he'll get angry for no reason and "snaps into a completely different person."

Now, we can argue over whether or not these players knew what they were getting into when they signed up, but to say that this is some type of 'money grab' is a complete slap in the face to guys who spent their careers battling in the trenches so he could achieve his 'Primetime' status.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He raises a couple interesting points.

Why didn't we know about this sooner?

And on which parts of the continuum of brain injury - from ' none' to 'now needs constant medical care' - do most of the 4000+ members of the lawsuit fall?

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

7. the fop

the fop Member

Franco Harris agrees.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Deion Sanders is Boom?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

JennaLaine is back!

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The big question that I'm sure NFL attorneys will be asking will be how do the players know that their injuries came from NFL play. Did the get hurt in Pop Warner? HS? College? Did they fall off a teeter totter or a bunk bed in their youth and sustain a concussion.

I think the end game for players to settle out of court and have the NFL agree to provide health insurance for all retired players.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Once heard Deion say "Don't nobody know me." That about sums up his intelligence.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Just like McCarver said, Deion is a real man.

Required reading on the topic of former NFL players and their lasting health defects: The Sept. 10, 2012 Sports Illustrated cover story. Jim McMahon's girlfriend carries around a notebook to jot down the things she knows he'll forget. Dave Kocourek's wife walked on on him, not even 70 years old, trying to brush his teeth with a razor. Ray Easterling, motor skills all but absent from his brain at age 59, couldn't button his shirts without his wife's help. Just heartbreaking.

Then again, Deion doesn't strike me as much of a reader...or tackler.

Draft saved Draft deleted