1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Degenerate gambling question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 17, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Inky, I think the bookie was just repeating the bet back to the bettor, not giving a half time line.

On Wall Street, you always repeat the order back. I imagine bookies do the same thing.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could be. I freely admit that.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You know it. My old man was a degenerate gambler if I ever saw one and when I asked him once why he wasted money on stuff like jai alai and harnes racing - which he was convinced was all rigged - he said, "Who cares if it's fixed? There's gotta be a winner!"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't go knocking jai alai.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jai alai--great sport to see live. Hilarious to watch those guys climb a wall to make a catch and then drop the easiest of lobs, and then hear the barbs from the bettors who knew the fix was in.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. that was me. I'll never forgive Escobar, dammit.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bowl game two years ago, right? Honestly, you didn't have to be a hardcore gambler to be on that game. A hardcore gambler is betting the regular season Florida International-North Texas game. But that Wake-Navy matchup has been great the last few years (they've played 4 times in the last 3 seasons), and that year was really interesting because it was a rematch after Navy beat Wake earlier in the season. Wake was a decent team for a few years when Riley Skinner was QB; option team like Navy. Navy is always giving away weight along the line, but they have been really good the last few years; teams have trouble defending the triple option. In the game earlier in the year, Navy was a 17 or 18 point underdog and beat Wake. That was why that bowl game was so interesting and why the spread was only 3. Wake won the bowl game and covered. But Navy beat Wake again last year in a close game.

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

So who'd you have in that North Texas-FIU game, Ragu?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, I had Western Kentucky.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always thought it was pathetic that people bet on the Pro Bowl.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When he comes on Simmons' podcast, Chad Millman has some interesting points on people who bet those types of games. Some guys, the ones who do it for a living (which I guess qualifies as hardcore), will focus in on one specific conference and learn all they can about it. Then they just bet the hell out of games like FIU-North Texas, because Vegas doesn't know anything about the Sun Belt Conference and the lines are often out of whack. The gamblers can get a good line and make some serious coin if they're on the ball.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I loved his book about NCAA basketball wagering.

http://www.amazon.com/Odds-Season-Three-Gamblers-Death/dp/0306811561

Draft saved Draft deleted