1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deford's confessions in SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brettwatson, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was a bit mean in my earlier post. The truth is, even if DeFord has gone downhill, at least he had a hill to go down. Many among us don't.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He had a mountain, not a hill. Deford ranks among the all-time greats.

The guy is 71 years old. Give him a break.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I don't care if it was self-indulgent. It was a fun read. And he gave full credit to the guy who wrote the original piece about the football coach. Wasted self-indulgence to me are some of the guys a couple decades younger than Deford who grab for the crutch and interject themselves into the story , effectively saying, "Look at me, I happened to be here when such-and-such took place," not realizing how foolishly contrived they sound. Some of that shows up in SI periodically, and you probably can guess who I"m talking about.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Toughest Coach Who Ever Lived - god damn I loved that.

Check it out in the SI Archives if you haven't read it already. It's timeless.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jeez... Just found that story in the SI Vault: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122011/index.htm

Did it pretty much take up the entire magazine that week? That's got to be one of the longest stories SI has run, though I guess I'm mostly familiar with the mid-90s and on.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read about half of it last night before bed -- zoned out after getting that far. Thank you, Bubbler, for your second post. Yes, Deford isn't the who Frank Deford used to be, but he is in his 70s, still sharp and he still works on his own terms, which means he is not going to be on top of every bit of sports news and be the most relevant writer out there. No one should begrudge him that. He's earned it. Yeah, the piece was self indulgent, but he's Frank Deford. He should get one or two of those--as long as it isn't a staple, and it really isn't--without a peanut gallery of sports journalists piling on him. From what I read, it was less full of revelations, than it was him randomly reminiscing about the gold ole days. Frankly, that is the kind of thing people on here sometimes eat up -- whenever the National comes up on here, for example. There wasn't a ton of focus to the piece -- nothing holding it together well except that it was stories from scattered moments in Frank Deford's life, but I haven't finished it yet. He can still write very well and he's a natural-born story teller, even if I didn't find some of it all that interesting. Deford is a good man, who has a bit of an ego that is funnier than it is insufferable. In my experience he has helped a lot of younger people throughout the years. In my opinion, people should cut him some slack for a piece like that, and also take into mind that SI chose to run it, even if it is self-indulgent.

7. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Great writer, but a pompous tool. He wrote a piece years ago for SI on a junior college football coach in Mississippi that was absolutely the stuff of genius. And yet he seems so oily and generally above it all.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I just read the story. I liked it. But I too am a sucker for inside baseball stories, especially in journalism, and I guess, baseball. Also, I wasn't expecting brilliance, just a fun read.

I wonder if it's going to be part of a larger memoir. Or maybe he was trying to write a memoir and gave up. Surprised there was nothing, even a graf, on The National and his work in TV now. He disses TV, but that's his main gig now. Then again, Real Sports is a bit different, with longform-style stories, which is I'm sure how he thinks of it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

DeFord's best writing days may be behind him, but he's in the discussion for "The Best Ever" and he never phoned it in the way Reilly has for the last five years.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with Mizzou on this. What would we prefer from Deford at age 71 or whatever he is: Silence, as in retirement to Hilton Head or some other golf course/beach/island/gin game? Or occasional pieces like this that link to the past?

I can think of several younger, more "relevant" sports journalists from whom I would prefer silence, ideally coming from underneath some beach somewhere.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

DeFord has had a pretty cushy gig for the past decade or so. I'm assuming he still does the NPR "essays" but does a few SI pieces every year. I don't get SI anymore so I can't say how frequently the come, but I'm guessing 3-4 times a year.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think he's also done some screenwriting.

Draft saved Draft deleted