1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeFord barbecues the WWL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

We should all start our own network, web site, magazine and radio show. There's enough of us here.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thought I saw him on E:60.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey you kids, get off my lawn!

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That wasn't his point.

He pointed out that it is powerful, but his argument was that it is dangerous that they are IN BED WITH many of the entities they are "reporting" (on in the case of Ben Roethlisberger, not reporting) on.

Power is fine. Power + godawful conflict of interest is not. Not in journalism, anyway.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

It's "Deford," btw. I effed that one up in a story I mentioned him in once. Compelling stuff though. Thanks for posting.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. He also said ESPN should show a little class or humility or restraint ... act like you've been there, that sort of thing. Not every story or non-story has to be a reminder of your brand or an advertisement for one of your properties or special programs.

But more important than that ... Luggies, how was the stir fry?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Liked the bit about "imagine if news networks aired cutsie ads with the people they cover." He must not have seen NBC use a throwaway interview question with Obama to tout Conan O'Brien. All of the networks are guilty of "creating news." Stewart's bit about floating a talking point and then reporting it like it is news was spot on.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you need to make enough for the whole board.

9. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Isnt the NBC clip actually just a clip from Conan? I mean, it's not NBC throwing an Obama clip and Conan clip together -- it's a clip from Conan where he said something about Obama...it's not quite the same thing.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No - NBC used the bit about Obama responding to Williams question about how Conan will do during the "Day at the White House" thing on ads for at least two weeks. It didn't do anyone any favors.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That Daily Show piece was outstanding.

12. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

ahh...then i stand corrected.

That whole day at the white house thing was hokey anyway

Draft saved Draft deleted