1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deficit spending ... just blame Clinton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lamar Mundane, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

How sad, especially considering how fast the "inadequate" military cut through Afghanistan, the same country that the Ruskies couldn't break in a decade.

So who do they blame for the current state of affairs? Give yourself a gold star if you answered, “Bill Clinton.”

But a senior administration official says the budgetary problems stem from what he called inadequate defense, intelligence and homeland security resources that were handed down from Clinton.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/28/2009.deficit/index.html

Yeah, the intelligence community was horrible. Stop me if you've heard this before ... Bin Laden determined to strike U.S.

But W couldn't be bothered - he was on vacation and clearing brush.

After inheriting a surplus, 8 years later and $3 trillion added to the national debt W will leave his successor with a projected $490 billion deficit.

Please Lord save us from the CONSERVATIVES!

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I thought we were supposed to blame this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And just for the record, when you enter Keynes name into google images you come up with this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Never mind that discretionary spending -- the non-defense, non-homeland security spending -- absolutely ballooned during the Bush administration. Clearly, it's all Clinton's fault.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clearly.

6. host

host Member

Actually, the "crap" they are spewing about Clinton, as an excuse for their intentional runaway spending....(they are intent on bankrupting the US Treasury, in their obsessive hatred of any spending not directly related to defense and barebones, essential services...) is even more deceiving than many imagine.

I watch the national debt.
    http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np
    It has increased $550 billion since the last fiscal year ended on 9/30/07. Total debt is $9,540,689,536,562 today, vs. $9,007,653,372,262 last Sept. 30.

In Clinton's last full year as president, national debt was:
    9/30/99 $5,656,270,901,633
    9/30/00 $5,674,178,209,886 ....a YOY increase if less than $18 billion.

In 2000, the SSA trust fund was owed $1,049,445,000 . Remember the debates in the 2000 election, and the commitments of Bush and Gore to use "the surplus" to pay down the amount owed to the SSA trust fund? As of the end of the last fiscal year, SSA was owed $2,238,500,000 . Social secure payroll withholding last year was $190 billion more than the amount paid out: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/STATS/table4a3.html
    The government borrowed and spent that surplus, and it's reflected in the $2.238 trillion total owed to the trust fund. So, the deficit is immediately, at least $190 billion greater than the number predicted for 2009 in the article.

The "deficit", does not include the surplus social security payroll withholding that they spend as general revenue, or the supplemental war expenses appropriations.....but, the national debt figure does include these debt increases, combined with the announced deficit.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Clinton's great-great-great grandfather was a Nazi.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I've already changed his Wikipedia page.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Remember when they turned off the national debt clock? Was it really only 8 years ago?

But, Saddam is no longer a threat with his imaginary WMD and deregulation has worked out nicely! For the CEOs.

W's mantra = CEOs before hoes and middle class bros

Gotta refill the coffers heh, heh, heh!

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how happy I am to see liberals concerned about spending.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Well, Liberals know how to stay within a budget.

I can only pay out what I take in, but not Republicans - they don't mind sending kids to fight unnecessary wars, denying benefits are grandfathers received after WWII and passing the bill to our grandchildren.

GOP = not satisfied with screwing one generation at a time.

I'm curious OT - you gonna vote GOP after the past 8 years? Surely, you wouldn't condone this kind of reckless spending - or are you afraid to go back to the days of balanced budgets?

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Well, at least we don't owe enormous portions of that deficit to one of the most oppressive regimes in the world. Oh, shit ... never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted