1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending Bush on social issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Jan 29, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Himself or JDV. Whatever.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If Red Smith wasn't already dead he might have died from reading a sentence like this one.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Ouch.

4. Winger -- I thought it was funny.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm in your debt.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This sorry president thinks AIDS is the band he needs after catching the wrong side of a thorn while leading a NATIONAL press corps through his would-be bucolic veld in Crawford. Fuck him and fuck them all.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Red,

I haven't seen any politician promise free hand outs of everything for everyone.

I have seen Halliburton repeatedly get government handouts, the airlines bailed out, Ken Lay's financial judgment reversed b/c he died (while those he swindled are out of their retirement money are still trying to recover). I've seen a prescription drug bill written by lobbyists and paid for (at double the cost mind you) by tax payers. I've seen the richest 1 percent get their taxes cut by an average of $90,000 in a time of war while brankruptcy laws (written by credit card lobbyists) make it nearly impossible to get out of a financial jam even in the event of catastrophic medical bills.

I've seen a nation lied into war at the cost of 3,000 lives and a half trillion dollars with no end in sight. I've seen veterans have their benefits cut. I've seen a quarter trillion dollar budget surplus turn into a quarter trillion dollar deficit (which we're told is a good thing after four years of record-breaking deficits).

So, yeah maybe the working man, who has seen health insurance and gas prices skyrocket along with college tuition while real wages are stagnant and the GOP congress raise interest rates for student loans, wants a break.

Yeah, the American people are pissed and looking for someone to look out for them. That rumble you heard on Nov. 6 was the call for change.

ding. ding.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Beautiful. Thank you.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

There are some posts you wished you'd written.

That was one of them.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree. That was beautifully crafted and I applaud you for it. I understand that's how a lot of working people feel.

Of course I wouldn't know considering I'm a rich sports copy editor for a daily newspaper in New Hampshire. I mean I'm rolling in the cash, and somehow I still understand the principles this country was founded on. Despite the fact that PB & J is almost a daily lunch and supper, I realize that it's up to me to improve my situation.

I do agree with you on a lot of what you say, and I do have sympathy for people who need help.

I guess I'm just an a-hole.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Red,

It sounds like you're a GOP mark. They don't care about the middle class. They reel you in with bread crumb tax cuts that don't equal the $ their corporate raiders take from you in higher energy costs, or the form of higher credit card interest rates or the drug companies' handout.

While you're eating PB & J, the majority of the corporate media CEOs are cashing in with millions in bonuses? Is any of that "trickling down" to you?

I am a Clinton democrat. He believed in fiscal responsibility, look at his record in Arkansas as well as the only Prez in the past quarter century to have a budget surplus. He recently received praise from right-wingers on his welfare reform's record in the first 10 years.

the middle class must demand that the dems and gop work for them. If not, we will boot out the current majority.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Believe me when I say I know exactly where you are coming from.

Hell my father has worked in his mill - Malden Mills in Lawrence, Mass., for over 30 years, you know the one that Clinton praised in a State of the Union because its then owner paid all its workers through the rebuilding after a fire. Something that in the end cost him the company. Well the new ownership has once again filed for bankruptcy and is in the pre-auction stages. Just about every company in on the bidding has a deal with the top execs that could lead to bonuses of up to $1 million each depending on the eventual sale price. What did these clowns do to deserve the bonus - aside from booting an old man who cared about his employees from running the show and then running the company into the ground themselves.
    While they will receive bonuses that could help most people retire comfortably, my father and other workers who have given their lives to this company, which includes deals with the U.S. Government for polartec products our soldiers wear in war, get nothing but pink slips.

I know about middle class mill workers.

And I'm not even a registered Republican. I'm an unenrolled voter who votes for the best man for the job. I admit I believed and still do that Bush was a better option than Kerry. Hell I voted for Clinton his first term.

I don't care what party affiliation a person is. Hell I would vote for Lieberman if he was in Massachusetts, because I believe that the current situation of us fighting terror is the biggest issue facing not just us, but the planet. I happen to lean Republican in these times mainly because all the current Dems I would even have a chance of voting for don't really offer solutions or ideas for fighting these idiots. It's more sit back and take what we get.

As far as financial policy I agree with you. Bush not only has let me down by not securing the borders before woking on a guest worker program, but he has also spent over the budgets limits. But I can see that war sometimes makes that happen. I can also see that the man, whom I have met twice and had conversations with while he was running in New Hampshire is a decent human being who means well, but has made some pretty shitty decisions with a majority of help from old man Dick. I refuse as some on these boards do constantly to call him a boob or evil.

I don't know what else to say, because although I lean socially to the left on most issues I am one of those crazy people in the world that actually believes we are in the midst of WWIII.

Anything else I say won't make the majority of posters to this board happy. I can say I'm for gay marriage. And I still get bashed as a Bush lover. I can say my sister and my aunt have both been throught the welfare system and I respect how instead of adding more babies to the mix to get more money, they got off their asses and worked hard to better their lives and are now off assistance. So I believe in welfare for those willing to use it correctly. But I am still a Bush lover.

See my main problem with most devout Democrats is that no matter what it is about hating the other party, not about as they claim working together. The merits of a man or woman for these people are judged by whether or not their name has a little D or R next to it. Hell if Jim Webb was still a Republican, he these people would still find fault with him somehow, someway.

I don't sit here typing away professing I know it all, as an elitist on the left usually does. I like to discuss things in a rational way, but in so doing are continuosly mocked.

So you can call me a Republican mark if you want, but the fact is I am simply an American who votes for what he believes, and who he believes in.

I don't apologize if that in any way offends you.

Draft saved Draft deleted