1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending Bush on social issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Jan 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have said that there is nothing you could tell me that could possibly lower my estimation of Ralph Reed.

The man oozes pus and evil.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Someone might know more about this, but it seems the country is Sweden. No family's wages are below a strong minimum - far above ours percentage-wise. They spend less on social ills we seem to spend more on than anyone.

When wages are up, crime is down, drug abuse is down (including dealers who can made a safer wage), social ills are down. It doesn't mean they go away, but it's considerably lower.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All-righty then.

Thanks for that.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

So let's compare the expense on social ills with what it would cost to have a legitimate living wage for every family in this country. C'mon Zeke, you obviously have an enormous arsenal of information in addition to the plethora of knowledge in your head. Crunch the numbers.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

6. Liv Ullmann movies, too.

7. I didn't realize it was the government's job to provide a "legitimate" living wage, whatever that is, for everybody.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's not, Lyman.

Our government's job is to do the job of the government of Iraq.

They have no domestic responsibilities whatsoever.

9. Sarcasm isn't your strong suit, Zeke.

The government isn't supposed to provide a legitimate living wage for anybody. That's up to you.

10. Well, that's only if you believe "To promote the general welfare" is just in there to fill the meter of the Preamble.
    Lyman lost this argument in 1929 and doesn't know it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The government isn't supposed to set up governments in other places.

That's up to them.

It's a crazy, mixed up world out there, Lyman.

12. Rather disingenuous to try to mix the Great Depression with giving everybody a check, isn't it, F_B? Then again, obfuscation is your middle name.

Draft saved Draft deleted