1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending Bush on social issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

More like Coolidge, Hoover, Tricky Dick, the Peanut Farmer from Plains.

History will not be kind to Fredo. Or Cheney. But they don't care. After all, they're the deciders.

2. Read some of the stuff the press said about Lincoln when he was president. It makes some of the anti-Bush stuff look like child's play.

I'm not at all saying Bush is another Lincoln, but he history was pretty kind to him.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bush's "plan" for Social Security basically boils down to:

Get rich and you won't have to worry about it.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's not an evil genius. He's a tool for the rich corporate stringpullers. Virtually everything done through the '06 elections can be traced back/rationalized/justified, through that mindset. It isn't hard.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Ambrose is a syndicated columnist whose stuff is distributed through Scripps-Howard. Don't be fooled by the Eagle-Tribune tag on his Web byline; that's one of the most incompetent Web sites in the country.

More on Ambrose:
    http://www.i2i.org/main/author.php?author_id=98

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That about sums it up.

7. As does this.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/washington/30rules.html?hp&ex=1170219600&en=9f1468dd91984d81&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Domestically, he's pretty much the WPE, too.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Business groups welcomed the executive order, saying it had the potential to reduce what they saw as the burden of federal regulations. This burden is of great concern to many groups, including small businesses, that have given strong political and financial backing to Mr. Bush.

Consumer, labor and environmental groups denounced the executive order, saying it gave too much control to the White House and would hinder agencies’ efforts to protect the public.

Of course, none of this is new. The Bushes have a family legacy of deregulation on behalf of corporate interests. When HW was vice president he was Reagan's lead guy on deregulation. As I recall, he was even referred to as the deregulation czar. W picked up on daddy's work quickly, too. How long did it take for him to summon all his oil industry cronies in to the White House to rewrite the country's energy policy.

9. Political hacks will determine what science really is.
    Sorry.
    Still awful.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the Social Security privitization plan, you don't know if that would benefit any actual Social Security recipients.

It sure as hell would benefit banks and brokers and such immensely.

Pass.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Did you catch the documentary "Enron, Smartest Guys in the Room"? Made me want to throw a shoe at the TV. The head of engergy regulation guy was connected to Bush/Enron and he did nothing while people in California sat in the dark. Absolutely infuriating.

12. Of course, it's not like everybody knew everybody else or anything.
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/insider/stories/020606.html

Draft saved Draft deleted