1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defector

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The thread to talk about Defector, the new sports and pop culture Web site.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

*shrug*
    I didn't much care for Deadspin, outside of a piece or two here and there.
    I also didn't care for how Deadspin ended. On the other hand, when those guys and gals turn on each other, it will be a sight to behold.
    I mean your whole ethos is telling the man to fuck off, how it is going to work when you are in charge and making decisions?

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Decent album by Steve Hackett. Not in the league of "Voyage of the Acolyte" or "Spectral Mornings," but worth keeping a copy handy ...

2muchcoffeeman and Songbird like this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Member

I’m curious about the long term viability of this, but from an internal perspective. I gather that for the first year they are all getting an equal cut.

I’ve seen countless partnership/shareholder agreements, and have seen some dissolutions from a front row seat. Once people start trying to account for everything, it can get difficult.

Will people like Ratto and Magary expect more because they drive traffic? Will page views/downloads become part of the metric for compensation. There is also an issue as to the volume of material provided.

I assume most of these people are also freelancing, so another avenue for resentment is saving your best work for freelance gigs instead of the site.

If the participants see value and stability in the platform, that will be critical to the long term success.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They didn't want to be told what to do by The Man.

Now they own it and-or are in charge of it. Therefore, they have become The Man.

Should be fun to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted