1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep-fried foods I have eaten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wonder if vick deep fried any of his 'losers?'

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Chicken on a stick will always be my favorite fried food(s).

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Heart patients rejoice: The Indiana State Fair was trans-fat free and Iowa, Texas and Minnesota will soon follow: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-08-14-fair-fats_N.htm

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Maybe I just missed it, but I'm surprised we've made it this far without mentioning fried green tomatoes, which are outstanding. I've also had something called corn fritters, which are little balls of sweet corn that are battered and fried. Yum.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll echo the sentiments about fried alligator. It is good stuff.

Tried fried oreos and fried twinkies in the same setting. Just a sample. Was surprisingly good, though I'd never pay for that heart attack and don't plan on getting it ever again.

Crab balls are usually either teeny tiny crabcakes fried up, or at least at one place, fried up crab imperial. Either way, it's fucking good.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But have you ever had fried Coca-Cola?

http://www.wftv.com/foodnews/9789814/detail.html

7. KG

KG Active Member

I'm not sure what it is, but I saw a sign for an interesting fried item called Pigsickle Shrimp at a dirt track in Paducah, Ky. I'm tempted to find out what it is the next time I'm in town.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The wife tried to burn the kitchen down once while trying to deep-fry candy.

Had my first DF Oreo at this year's Tennessee Ren Fair. Tasty.

Thumbs up for Friday's DF green beans. Sounds weird, I know.

A catfish joint I know turns out DF jalapeno rings. Similar in concept to DF okra, which I also love.

Rooster fries. Yep.

At a Red Robin, I recently ordered Fish & Chips with salmon, assuming it would come grilled. Instead, it was beer-battered and deep fried. It was really quite good, though I would never have thought of that.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I live 26 miles from a Red Robin and never knew the chain existed in Texas! I will have to make a special stop this Friday on my way to my Week Zero game.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

IN this schizophrenic thread, here's a truely good one: lightly floured, maybe with a little cornmeal, fried yellow crookneck squash. Not the hog-chokers, the medium sized ones, sliced into rounds.

Oh, and green beans make great tempura if, once again, they're picked before they get too big.

But carrot tempura? Ugh.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes. Every year at the state fair, I get one along with my Pronto Pup. Could be one of the world's most outstanding meals.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Deep-fried oysters in a beer batter are awesome. Ditto for deep-fried pickles. The key to pickles, however, is to slice them and not cube them and serve them with ranch dressing.

Also, deep-fried calamari.

Did Rocky Mtn. oysters, too. The look that crossed my brother's face when I ate them was simply priceless.

On a side note: Mr. Cougar and I received a deep fryer off the registry. However, I don't plan to subject him to anything harmful or emasculated.

Draft saved Draft deleted