1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep-fried foods I have eaten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 26, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dude, you have to try a Snickers or a Milky Way.

So good.

2. So where do they have these things? I don't see them anywhere around here.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

As are tempura shiitake mushrooms.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fried yuccas in the Dominican Republic were awesome. Most places just cut up the yucca root into french-fry style slices and serve it that way. Pretty good, like slightly sweet french fries. But this one place would make little fried rugby-ball-shaped things out of flour made from the yucca root. Those things ruled.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go to your state fair.

irish, do the yucca fries taste like sweet potato fries?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Seconded. I had them somewhere else too and was unimpressed. Not sure if that's really something that can be done well, but they're popping up on a lot of menus.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Very much so, even though I'm pretty sure the yucca's not related to the sweet potato. Starch is starch.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

1. Fried freshwater eel served with scrambled eggs. I was 8 at the time and didn't know any better.

2. Deep-fried rattlesnake.

3. There's a place in Memphis, can't remember its name, where they fry the burgers in a vat of grease that's been around for decades, then soak the bun in the grease as well. Wasn't as good as its reputation.

4. Recently ate something called "Alabama Fried BBQ" at a chain restaurant. Brace yourselves -it's deep-fried BBQ ribs. Blasphemous, yes, and seemed like a waste of decent pork.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The gator I've had was too greasy...not my style. The oreos for desert, though... mmmm!

The worst for me, though, was when I had cheese on a stick. It looked like a giant corndog, but it was basically like eating a deep-fried block of velveeta.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fried, and breaded.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i will do another twinkee the next time the pettys stop by santa cruz ... so will mrs. petty and the heartbreakers.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Calf fries drowned in Shrimp cocktail sauce.....delightful.

Draft saved Draft deleted