1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep down, I feel I did the right thing, but ....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll get you damn kids for this. You're all gonna die.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Read more closely. He didn't drive around looking for people to turn in. He's not a rat fink.

I think you did the right thing. Better the fire department deal with it than you becoming a vigilante.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The correct response in this situation is to say "Looks like your fire isn't big enough to burn all those leaves." Then you pull a can of gasoline out of the trunk of your car and dump it on the pile of burning leaves. High jinks!

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Hell yes, you did the right thing.

I wouldn't be as touchy re: water curtailment orders, however. Last I checked, CNN never led off with "Thousands are displaced and millions of acres have been destroyed following what can only be described as novelist_wannabe washing his car."

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

As an active fire department member who has seen more than his share of well-intentioned controlled burns get out of control and do a shit load of damage, I'll weigh in on this:

A thousand atta boys.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn straight you did the right thing. Ask any of the socal SportsJournalists.com group--I would bet to a man/woman, they would say the same.

Now if you had walked up yourself to the fire and started urinating on it to douse it; well, that probably wouldn't have been the right approach.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The only reason I brought that up was that the outdoor burn ban and the watering ban are both steps taken to counteract the drought. Plus, you know, some people cause floods with their carwashing. I'm not among them, though.

8. I understand that the Nazi's are taking SS application again...

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I haven't experienced the smell in years, but I'm guessing walking by a pile of burning leaves would take me right back to my childhood. It used to be THE smell of autumn.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

You're a do-gooding jerk. Sorry, but I think the calls were totally unnecessary.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly, Harley ;)
    Except I'd have kicked the bitch in the knee and called her "The Leafer" or something. Violence against the elderly is easier if you can convince the world she's a supervillain.

In all seriousness, good job novelist_wannabe. You had the balls to do what a hundred other people who saw that wish they had the balls to do.

12. Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted