1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep down, I feel I did the right thing, but ....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 11, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So I'm riding down the road and I see smoke. First thought: Hmmm, wonder if someone's house is on fire. Nope. Just a little old lady burning leaves in her back yard. I had bigger fires in my grill all summer. (dunno how the law applies to that. oh, well). Anyhowl, we're in an area that's under an outdoor burn ban because of drought conditions. Plus, an outdoor watering ban that means I have to take my car to a car wash to get it clean. So I call the fire department, where the burn ban is confirmed. They dispatch a fire truck. Made big scene. This little old lady must have been sorely embarrassed. Then I ride through the neighborhood and discover two other yards where leaves are being burned. So I called the fire department again. I feel like a complete jerk, but then again, I had my fill of watching the California wildfires on TV.

So am I a do-gooding jerk? Is there any such thing?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. That's rough, bro.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dude, you can't be too careful these days. You did the right thing. However, you see anyone cooking meth, keep your fucking mouth shut, snitchy.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love the smell of burning leaves, you bastard.

Plus, now I gotta bail granny out of jail -- again!

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Long as they ain't doing it on top of a pile of leaves in plain view, it's really none of my business

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

You're good. Shit, if you can't burn leaves, why should anyone else get to burn leaves.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

are you going to call the fire department and report the burning pile of something smelly on your front step too?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't put it out with your boots, Ted.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't tell me my business, Devil Woman. Call the fire department. This one's outta control!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Looks like Fido had a little accident!

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think it was a tad over the top.

I mean, riding around the neighborhood with the purpose of spotting folks burning leaves?

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Well done, concerned citizen. /Batman

Draft saved Draft deleted