1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dedicated to Jani Lane, your five favorite hair metal bands

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 12, 2011.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I reserve the right to change this later:

Metallica
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Gunners
    Motley Crue
    Ozzy

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, they do not. And neither does Metallica. Not sure I'd include Ozzy and Motley Crue either.

Hair metal ain't just hair, it's that overcommercialized formulaic phony glam-metal brand that took over metal in the latter half of the 80s and eventually ruined it. I'd say Poison and Bon Jovi are the two that should get pioneer credit for it, those two spawned an insane number of horrible copycats all dutifully following the same formula.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

[​IMG]

enough said

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Gunners and the Crue might have had the hair and the spandex but musically they were light years ahead of shit like Metal Church, Dangerous Toys and all the other bands mentioned on here.

And while Steel Panther is supposed to be a joke (well, sort of) they nail the hair-metal thing better than almost every practitioner of it. Spinal Tap too.

My fave hair metal song: "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison. C.C., pick up that guitar and, uh, talk to me!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No they shouldn't. I'm not sure Bon Jovi should be here either. Maybe not Motley Crue either.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that the only hair band on this list is Poison.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never saw Def Leppard as hair metal. Their first couple of records were pretty straight ahead rock and roll, which to these ears, owed plenty to glam rockers like Mott the Hoople, T Rex and David Bowie. Mutt Lange buried that under all sorts of 80s production wizardry that made them one of the biggest bands on the planet.

And Ozzy? No way one of the godfathers of metal music can ever be called a hair metal guy. I wouldn't put Bon Jovi (whom I loathe for everything they did except "Runaway") in there either.

8. Shoeless Joe

I think Motley Crue and GNR get lumped in just because they came out of the 80s LA scene.
    Motley Crue wasn't a glam band at the time of Too Fast for Love, got teased and made up for Shout at the Devil and Theatre of Pain to hit commercial success, but then went back to themselves for Girls, Girls, Girls.
    As for GNR, Axl hit the Aquanet pretty hard for the Welcome to the Jungle video, but that's as close as they came to being painted with "hair band" brush.

Despite being the poster girls for the genre, Poison could play.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1. Whitesnake
    2. Quiet Riot
    3. Poison
    4. Guns & Roses
    5. Metallica

1 & 2 are because my cousin was in both bands.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

1. Skid Row
    2. Morrissey
    3. Cannibal Corpse
    4. The Cure
    5. Dolly Parton

11. Shoeless Joe

Check out this version of the Girls, Girls, Girls video.
    I'm pretty sure it didn't make MTV ... although at 16 I sure wished it did.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Guns 'n Roses is NOT a hair band.

Its arguable whether Def Leppard is either. They were on the back end of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal and everything they recorded to Pyromania reflects that.

Post-Pyromania? Probably a hair band.

Motley Crue is a hair band, though I get where some people think they weren't because they started and were popular before the late 80s hair metal era and not all of their songs have the conventions of hair metal. Some of their songs are quite good, in fact.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything else about them was very hair metal. They should probably be considered the first hair band.

Metallica? They would kick anyone's ass for suggesting they were hair metal. At least they would've when they were in their prime. Now they'd probably do an orchestral version of their angst and call it "Ass Kick!" to make themselves look tough.

As for my list?

1-infinity. They all suck. I'll give a grudging nod to Motley Crue for having a few songs that rock, but aside from that, the nostalgic celebration of hair metal's formulaic, crappy music is a constant disappointment. They were all a bunch of fake-ass poseurs. Doesn't anyone get that?

Draft saved Draft deleted