1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, May 22, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, thanks to Local High making an unlikely postseason run in girls soccer, I'm faced with a situation tomorrow. the ol' SE has left the ball in my court, but has let me know I have to at least cover the regional track meet tomorrow.

So here's the deal: As I said, Local High has made an unexpected run to the regional finals in girls soccer. They couldn't even get a home game in the play-in round but won that game 1-0 and then beat the region's top seed on penalty kicks today. It's stunning they've made it this far. The team they play for the championship lost to the same team Local High just beat on PKs, and considering the other team played overtime as well, it's reasonable to think Local High has a legitimate shot at winning the regional title. Which, frankly, is unfathomable. Local High girls soccer has had one winning record in its history. Never been this far. Never been close actually.

Nearby High is hosting a regional track meet. I've been told I can do both if I want but I have to be at the track meet at some point. The only problem I could have is if the soccer game goes to overtime. If it goes all the way to PKs again, I may not make the track meet at all.

I think the soccer game is a much bigger story, especially if Local High wins. I guess photogs are shooting track, hence the reason it's imperative I be there. Soccer game is out of town but not far. About 45 minutes.

Go to soccer and risk overtime and maybe missing the track meet?

2. OTD

OTD Active Member

Go to the soccer game. You could always leave early if you have to, much as that would suck.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What are the starting times?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would cover soccer, for sure, if that's the bigger, better story, then try to make the track meet and get what you can (or whatever you absolutely need) out of that.

Track meets usually run long -- longer than soccer games -- and have even more of a tendency to go overtime. I haven't covered whole lot of track, but don't the meets usually last a good four or five hours, at least? I've been to a couple of big ones, I know, that lasted even longer than that -- something like six or seven hours. So, I think there's a good chance it'd probably still be going on for a while after soccer, especially if there are a lot of schools involved.

But, is there any possibility of making life easier for yourself and just assigning a stringer to the track meet?

Or, of having a track coach, assistant or meet official call in with results, at least those involving the school in which you are interested, so that you could just write up results off of that?

Or, maybe, have the photogs cover the soccer game instead of the track meet, and just take whatever you get as far as track results.

Those would be my suggestions.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You have to be at the soccer game. If the photographers are at the track meet, worst-case scenario is that you run a photo of the meet, then refer to a round-up and the agate.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He doesn't have the option of not going to the track meet. SE has told him that, plain and simple.

If you feel the need to go to the soccer game, go. But go there with the knowledge that at some point, no matter what happens in that game, you're going to have to drive away and make it to the track meet in time to do the job.

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Go to the soccer game because, as others have said, it's more important and I've never seen a track meet end on time. Plus, do you really need to be at the meet other than to grab a couple of quotes? It's track. Not much you have to actually witness to write the story if that's what it comes down to. Look at the final results, find multiple winners or whoever won meet MVP or whatever, and get a couple quotes. If the soccer game runs long and you're at risk of arriving at an empty stadium for the track meet, maybe you have to leave soccer early because of the SE's instructions. But you can arrange ahead of time for the soccer coach to call you and fill you in on the final few minutes.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Call in sick.

9. rgd

rgd Guest

If the SE wants you at the track meet, then go to the track meet. Take soccer over the phone. It's less than ideal, but it will get the job done.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If it makes you feel better, nobody who's not related to a participant gives a friar's flying fuck about either of them. ;)

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Soccer - 4:30
    Track - 3 p.m. with track finals starting at 6:30.

Someone made the excellent suggestion of a stringer. If only the powers-that-be agreed ...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For Tebow's sake, I hope if you attend both, that you will get paid for your time, and not just work it for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted