1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decision times UPDATE ON PAGE 3: Accord or Camry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 19, 2007.

?

Given the details below, which would you choose?

1. 2007 Honda Accord

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. 2007 Toyota Camry

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Keep looking

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Keep the 100,000 mile POS, even though Little tbf is on the way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't normally ask this kind of question, and I know we have these threads all the time, but we have a pretty tough decision to make.

Here are the two vehicles:

2007 Camry LE
    14,000 miles, 4 cylinder
    Leather, but nothing special that stands out
    I can get it for about $19,000

2007 Honda Accord EXL
    2,300 miles, 6 cylinder
    Leather and all the bells and whistles you can imagine (except a navigation system).
    Can be bought for about $25,000

Both were dealer program cars, you know, loaners and the owner's wife, etc. Personally, I like the Accord better, and Mrs. tbf has no preference. It handles better and has a few options like heated seats and a moon roof, etc. The Camry is obviously a good bet, too. It has a little more room and gets just a bit better gas mileage (a couple of MPG, I think). And it's cheaper. Hell, they sell 100 million of them each year. Its exterior is a little bland, as opposed to the Accord.

Both are extremely safe and reliable cars. I've done the research and both earn top crash-test and reliability ratings. According to Kelly Blue Book, both are fairly priced.

Chew me out, make fun of me, tell me to eff off. Whatever. Just help me talk through this.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Decision times: Accord or Camry?

You're expecting a little TBF. I'd get whichever one had more room for him/her myself.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second that. More room, (slightly) more MPG and $6k less sells me on the Camry. Bells and whistles are tempting at this stage, but in a year the luster wears off and it becomes just car stuff.

Incidentally, my little one is two and I'm officially tired of contorting myself and her to get to the middle child seat in our two sedans. My wife and I thought we were over the SUV era and she thinks getting a minivan is akin to waving the white flag on life, but damn those options seem tempting now.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. The good news is this is a no-lose choice.

I would go after the Accord without question, but that's because I believe the upgrade to a six-cylinder over a four-banger is worth it alone. The easy argument against it and for the Camry, however, is that the six-cylinder isn't as friendly on mileage and other arguments have been made that the power the two extra cylinders produce don't justify the price and lower mileage.

Both are bulletproof. On top of the extra pair of cylinders, slight edge to the Accord because of Honda's second-to-none ergonomics and their ability to hold their value better come time for your next vehicle purchase.

Good luck regardless, and know that you're getting a solid machine either way ...

----

Playthrough - I cannot emphasize the minivan enough, especially a good one like the Honda Odyssey. I have a parent that needs the space and ingress/egress ease and it has been a champ. (Well ... except the audio that needs to be replaced, but Honda is picking up the bill and better that than something more crucial and mechanical ... )

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i know a lotta people like toyotas, but in my experience, you never can go wrong with an accord. plus, it's a six banger. you can never have too much power.

6. accguy

accguy Member

Go with the Accord. Looks better and the heated seats will be addicting.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I voted for the Camry. I'm a Toyota lover. I've driven Accords before and I like the way the Toyotas handle and feel better.
    Plus with a little one on the way the extra $5k you'll save by getting the Camry will come in handy down the road.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My wife has a Camry with 103k on it. Still runs like it's brand new.

But I'd probably go with the Accord, simply because of the extras. I'm a sucker like that.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've owned both. loved both. i'm a honda guy now, though. the accords w/bells and whistles will never, ever let you down.

my dad has a mid-'90s camry w/ about 75,000 miles on it. the best car he's ever had, he says.

as noted before, it's a no-lose situation. if the money difference is not an issue, i'd vote accord.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Neither. NEITHER.

If it ever breaks, you will pay double the cost of repairs.

Stick with an American-made vehicle.

EDIT: If you got a little one on the way, TBF, that's another reason to get a 'bigger' car.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most Camrys and Accords are made in the U.S., and the cost of repairs doesn't seem to be more (based on my friends who have them). Try again.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Call me when they make an American car that's worth a shit.

And I'm pretty sure that Accords are the most popular car in America. Somone is repairing them, just not anywhere near as often as American cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted