1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decatur, Illinois sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by More hideous than Ben Seaver, Sep 12, 2007.

1. clarkington

clarkington Member

I went to college in Missouri and had a college professor call Decatur the armpit of America.

I also worked at H&R under Albright but have since moved on. Never had any problems with him. Drapa and others are good guys -- even though I've never worked with them.

2. AP

AP New Member

Clarkington ...

Who among the esteemed Missouri staff made such a statement? If it was George Kennedy or Charles Davis, I'll let it slide. Maybe Byron Scott, but probably not anyone else.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All kidding aside, I'll vouch for Decatur's prep coverage. They do a very good job.

4. That's the nicest thing I've ever read about the Haute. You're a good man, bubs.

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Just because someone went to school in Missouri doesn't mean they went to MU. There are a few other universities in that state. Underfunded, yes, but they still exist.

6. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

Didntdoit, I like your attitude. You didn't happen to go to Truman State, did you? Because we definitely got screwed over by the State of Missouri every year as far as funding is concern, and it frustrated the hell out of me.

As far as Decatur goes, I've been there a couple of times. I definitely wouldn't call it a college town, but it's a pretty large municipality. And yes, it's close to Champaign, so if any of you have a desire to relive keg-stands, boxed-wine races or just a simple game of beirut (commonly known as beer pong), I'm sure there's a house party that would love to take you aboard.

7. clarkington

clarkington Member

Actually, I did go to Truman State. Don't remember which professor said it.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Nope, didn't go to Truman. I can still understand the frustration, though.

9. joe

joe Active Member

With Decatur you get Monsanto, with Champaign-Urbana you get the South Farms. As far as smell goes, it's a push.

10. buzzerbeater

buzzerbeater Member

AP,

Nice to have pride in your work and your former or soon to be former employer, and this is not a knock on your work ethic or that of your colleagues, but you can't possibly be serious.
    Good luck in the Quad Cities.

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

I can not speak of the paper, but I have stayed one day in the city once. It made me sad. That's all I can say.

12. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Why can't he possibly be serious? I work there and I would say the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted