1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

debunking the myth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Exactly. That's the positive. At least to most folks.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm glad SWA doesn't charge for bags.

But if I'm a SWA stockholder, I'd be pissed.

To wit:

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/moneyinvesting/news/airline-profits-soar-baggage-fees

...major airlines have made $2.5 billion in bag fees in the first 3 quarters this year alone. That's money SWA is leaving on the table.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Those assholes at the diner give you oyster crackers for free with your soup, but what they don't tell you is that they are secretly charging ALL their customers for YOUR oyster crackers whether anyone likes it or not!

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But but but but ****** it is included in the price!

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

And the premise is to get more fliers by dropping the baggage and flight-change fees, which is intended to make up the difference. I see what bydesign is saying, but it's the equivalent of getting mad over the Miller Lite "triple-hops brewed" campaign. Most folks know that Miller Lite is not a craft brew, and they wouldn't take a SWA flight that is $100 more than a competitor because of $80 bag fees.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@ByeDesign

No empathy at all for someone who has a visa problem, even their own doing? That's cold.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Well maybe a little. But when I travel internationally I always check entry, transit and exit requirements.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Check bd's avatar: NO WHINING (exception for complaints regarding arcane accounting procedures of successful and well-regarded businesses vis a vis other poorly regarded competitors that are not all that successful either)

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boom would be proud of that strategic misspelling

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not intentional, was posting from my phone.

A gentleman is one who never hurts another's feelings unintentionally :)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess we should have phoned Angela Merkel personally. Cause the information here doesn't jibe with what Lufthansa told us.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html

Not only is Russia not listed . . . but visa requirements apparently are waived if you hold an I-551 card (which my wife does). Or maybe that was the case 6 weeks ago. Or six months ago. But not 3 weeks ago.

Face it. It's a crapshoot with the rules changing every other week and 10 people telling you 5 different things. Sometimes you get zonked like on Let's Make a Deal. Lufthansa even conceded that the reason they do not bother to post notices of visa requirements is because they change so often.

Draft saved Draft deleted