1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate: Should she return the engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 10, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a broken engagement, and I got the ring back.
    It was not worth $17,000.
    And I lost a lot when I hocked it.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Um....really?

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

She breaks the engagement, she returns the ring. He breaks the engagement, she keeps it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

YUP. it's a simple matter of contract law (the theory). woman says 'yes' to marriage proposal. woman accepts ring, in effect 'signing' a contract. woman breaks engagement -- breaks the 'contract,' the condition upon which she accepted the ring -- it is returned.

gawdalmighty... in this world these 'ring-keeping women' you speak of would create the newest gold-digging trend: man proposes to woman, opening the ring-case as he says those four magical words, 'WILL YOU MARRY ME?'

woman has NO intention at all to marry this loser, but gosh, this gorgeous ring must've cost him a fortune! 'YES,' she says, grabbing the ring before completing the 'S.'

call her friends excitedly as soon as she returns hom. 'I DID IT! HE PROPOSED AND I SAID 'YES!' we'll never get close to walking down the aisle, of course, but HOT DAMN! WAIT 'TIL YOU SEE THE RING I'M WALKING AWAY WITH!'

these women voting, 'of course you keep it' deserve to be flogged.or a new trend will soon come into vogue: NO RING UNTIL YOU SAY, 'I DO.'

BOY, am i repulsed at the very thought that this is even an issue. WTF?!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

$17K is not a trifle. I don't care why they aren't getting married. She's just an ugly person.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sets up an iron battle of wills to see which one gives in first and declares out of a failed relationship.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Drip approves.

If I took that ring in good faith, with all intentions of marriage, and he ends it, I am keeping the stone and selling it to compensate myself for the two years I will never get back, thinking I was going to marry this man.

But if I end it, he gets the ring, unless I ended it due to some egregious act on his part.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

This seems both sensible and logical. I mean, really, would you keep wedding gifts if the ceremony was canceled at the last minute?

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Shit like this makes me feel not so bad about being a looser who's never gotten close to being engaged.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Crap like this thrills me to no end that I'm not close to this stage ... not likely to happen at this rate, either.

Besides ... wouldn't an old sports clip shaped as a brass ring wear out pretty quickly?

Draft saved Draft deleted