1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deathwish III ... aka the indefatigable animal magnetism of Bronson ... WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was also great in "The Dirty Dozen," of which he was the only survivor (of the titular 12, that is).

But "DW 3" is awesome on so many levels. Kersey brings out that freaking sweet .475 Wildey Magnum with which he promptly ventilates "the Giggler." Ed Lauter as the cop who, at the start of the movie, unilaterally decides Kersey is ineligible for bail. And Chuck Cunningham!!! as the main villain who gets offed at the end by the bazooka. I always figured, after seeing this movie, that he had gone off the deep end as a response to his family dumping him for The Fonz.

The best part? The gratuitous body count in this film sure does make up for Kersey begging out of the Korean War as a conscientious objector. :D

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Funniest. Movie. Ever.
    "They shot The Giggler, man!"
    And the guy picking people off with sniper-like precision from 100 yards ... with a zip gun.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is Death Wish III the one where Martin Balsam leads a bunch of old farts who Bronson inspires to turn into vicious vigilantes? Where one of 'em takes out his old WWII uniform or something?

Oh, and that's SONDRA Locke, not Sonya.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Give me "Mr. Majestyk" and some popcorn and Dr Pepper and I'm a happy man. Well, I could use a job too, but I like the movie. Gonna have to hunt for it now, I think.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not as long as The Warriors walks the earth.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I should have watched it in that spirit. The body count in that movie was hilarious.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think we need to terminate Bubbler's command with extreme prejudice. Underwear? Charles Bronson movies? He clearly has lost it.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

At least he wasn't watching the movie at Wal-Mart on his way to buying underwear...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

While listening to the top-secret version of Sometimes When We Touch

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He could have bought the DVD of that movie at Walmart for cheaper than the price of a pair of boxers.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dooley, You can't compare The Warriors and Death Wish II or Death Wish III, in my humble humble. The Warriors is an awesome movie, and has some of the best action sequences ever, especially considering it was done on a low budget without CGI effects. The costume design and the editing totally make the film. The editing drives the story along and there is non-stop energy and action. The music really fuels it, too. It wasn't meant to be an accurate portrayal of anything, or a drama. And it wasn't trying to pretend at realism the way those Death Wish movies did. It was meant to be pure fantasy. The book and the movie are loosely based on the ancient Greek tale of Anabasis, in which a battalion of 10,000 Spartans hired by Cyrus the Younger to defeat the Persians gets defeated and the remaining forces have to make their way across Asia Minor and fight hostile tribes until they reach safety at the Black Sea. Even if it's a ridiculous notion, people have written their college theses on the Warriors. No one in their right mind is ever going to write a thesis about Death Wish II, which is one of the most brutally bad films ever made (much worse than Death Wish III). It's just a ridiculously bad movie. They purposely made it so violent with the rape that it would get rated X, and they used it for cheap publicity. Even though it was ridiculed by critics and is generally considered the worst of the Death Wish sequels, it was the highest grossing one, too. The Warriors has a cult following. Death Wish II (but really all the Death Wish sequels) was just meant to get a trainwreck audience.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can. You. Dig. It!

Draft saved Draft deleted