1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death with dignity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. The dog was cute too so it drew in the animal lovers as
    well.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fully agree. If she were, um, not a "6" and, instead 5'7" and 210, people would say, "well, she probably ate too many Ding Dongs anyway".

That being said, I think this woman did go out on her terms, doing those final experiences before she goes. It's one thing to fight. But, when your time is short (and I can't speak from experience) and your fate is determined, I'd much rather go experience everything on "my list" for two months rather than fight and put up a good front for everyone else.

I'd rather have them say "Ex was a fun-loving man who may have been a bit irrational about sending Gordon home and chiding Peyton Manning but, damn, he lived in full his last six weeks."

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Personally torn on the ethics of it but it would seem a physician's actions would contravene the Hippocratic oath.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Most doctors don't take it.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

I suppose a DNR in a living will is no different.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I actually asked the same question as you about the oath in a class one time. Can't remember the exact topic. That's when I was told by a doctor that doctors don't actually take the oath.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Well, I am surprised by that. It's one of the most enduring traditions of western culture.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder what would be on my list of things to do if I knew I was going to die in a month, a year, etc.
    Pull of a heist?
    Use Make A Wish to nail a C-level celebrity?
    Epic orgy?

I know I would be the one to write my obit, and that would be fun.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Would you include ColdCat and your wife?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Terribly sad and who really can know how one would react until put in that position.

Thought it was unfortunate, though, that the doomed gal branded as "evil" those who might oppose the practice of assisted suicide (her quote in "People"). There are plenty of truly evil things in this world that don't get labeled as such by one side or the other. Some of them that ought to be consensus picks, too, but the culture is way too partisan for that.

People who for reasons of faith or belief in the sanctity of life or having slippery-slope concerns or whatever don't agree with expediting one's own departure from this life hardly qualify as "evil." Too many on both sides go too far in these strident opinions, sapping them of their strength. If these folks are evil, what is ISIS? Pedophiles?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hookers and blow.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good thing Brittany didn't want to play a little college basketball.

The backlash would be horrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted