1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death to iTunes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I'll never tell, Dec 10, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The downloading music part doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I already said. I think there's a very interesting case to be made that intellectual property is bad for society, especially as it is currently practiced. It's just that you seem aggressively ignorant on the issue and determined to imply that anyone who disagrees with you must be on the same level. Not at all, some of us have taken to the time to educate ourselves on the issue. I don't have to spoonfeed this to you one step at a time. If you want to learn about it, it's out there. I didn't say you were immoral, I didn't call you "stupid," and I don't care who started it (but moooom?). You are just doing a fantastically awful job at presenting your case.

With regards to your question, I'm certainly no expert, but here's the basic principle. If you are invited to consume content for free, it is fair use to use technology that allows you to "time shift" the watching, so long as you do so for private and non-commercial uses. I'm not aware of any specific case that tests this on the internet, but there's no reason to think that this would not apply to the internet.

Doing it on Netflix will probably run you afoul of their user agreement, but not copyright law.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I do not think downloading music is "amoral." I think there are much better ways to do it than the way you're going about it that aren't nearly so riddled with problems or potential risks. And I would not recommend anyone use these Russian sites.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Now as to whether or not these specific sites are owned by Russians, these are the undisputed facts:

1) A number of illegal Russian music sites have popped up in the last decade, in part because of the lax state of Russian copyright laws.

2) Those sites have been for years rumored to be run by or heavily connected to Russian organized crime. There's no way to prove it, because the Russian government does not intend to prosecute and the sites don't exactly have a "Run by the Mob" sticker on the front. But if it's Russian, lucrative and of sketchy legality, the mafia is not a bad guess.

So while it can't be proven that this specific site is linked to organized crime, "You can't prove it so I can ignore it" is a little silly.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Not a huge C&W fan, but I kinda liked this one:

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

LOVE that song. One of my five favorite country-pop songs.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bless you, dear, I was hoping I wasn't the only one.
    Actually, I had never seen the video until this afternoon when I was looking for a link to the song to put here. Video is really good, too.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When Walkmans and home taping became all the rage, I remember when the US government was under pressure from the RIAA to place a tax on blank tapes. Nothing ever came from it and I recall they tried to get the record companies to raise the price of albums to replace what they felt they were losing to home tapers.

8. imjustagirl

My awkward near-incest story:

I was working at a small town in Kentucky when a coworker and I met my parents for lunch. She and my father started talking, and they realized their families are from neighboring counties and they then figured out we're actually distantly related. Weird enough.

Well, I thought the lead singer of DR wasn't HORRIBLE looking, and I liked that song enough. And then the coworker tells me that's her second cousin. So....yikes?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You're kidding, right?

Everything is pretty much point-and-click now in the file-sharing world now. Google. Find a blog, message board or whatever dedicated to distribution of tunes or movies or whatever. Download the album, song or whatever from one of the services (rapidshare, megaupload..among others). It's pretty damn easy.

If that's not your thing, well, head on over to Usenet land. First you sign up and buy download credits from a Usenet News Server service. Last time I purchased credits it was $20 for 180GB or something like that (it came from a service called Astraweb...but there are tons out there). Download the program Grabit! Insert your Usenet Service log-in and password that you purchased into the program. Head over to a binary Usenet search engine (I use binsearch.info). Tick the box next to the files you want, hit create NZB. Grabit! fires up and you're using max bandwidth to download the files. No worrying about prying RIAA or MPAA eyes.

Anonymous torrents are also on the way, but those have yet to be perfected.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In disputing J-School's point, I think you proved it for him beyond a shadow of a doubt. :)

Anybody use Rhapsody? $10/month for all the downloads you want I think is the deal. Do they not have the selection that iTunes does? Is this like the Columbia House of digital downloads?

11. imjustagirl

The problem with Rhapsody, if I remember correctly, is you're essentially renting them. When you cancel service, you lose the music.

Then again, I'm technologically impaired, so I don't know if that's the case or you can just back them up and still have them or what have you.

12. If you're dumb enough to believe paying $1 per album from some shitty Russian firm is in anyway legitimate, you might as well spend five minutes reading up on torrents and start stealing the shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted