1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death threats for Joshua Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's pretty much my take. When all it takes to send an anonymous "death threat" is 10 seconds, it doesn't carry quite the same weight as it did back in the "black hand letter" day.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not that any are acceptable, but there's a big difference between getting a death tweet and getting a phone call where the person says, "I own a rifle and when you leave apartment 456 as you do every day at 1:30, you better watch your back."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's funny, it is exactly just what one of our writers suggested.

Yeah, I think it points out more the general sickness of people - people are fuckheads as another writer said - than an actual threat on Morgan's life. Though I wonder what the law says? I suppose these people can be charged with something after a tweet like that?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think after Kyle Williams' second fumble in the NFC Championship Game I may have screamed "Somebody kill him please!!!" :D

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

People are such idiots. If you're serious about hurting someone, you don't announce your intentions. You just do it.

[/gunter_parche]

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

People ... ugh. And the fact he got fined was also dumb, IMO. Finnegan pretty much rewarded on the play for being a dirty player.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think of reporting on what idiots say on Twitter as akin to feeding trolls on a message board. There's a block button, people.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or the gambling.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think the death threats are for his newfound pretentiousness. Josh was good enough when he was in Blacksburg...what's this Joshua mess?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Weird, I agree.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

People are screwed up. In this age of instant information, I think we're going to see more situations like this. It also put the media in a delicate position. A death threat is news, no question about it, but I wonder if we're throwing gasoline on the fire so to speak. It's not uncommon to have people begin phoning in bomb hoaxes whenever we report that a mall was evacuated as a precaution because of a prank phone call.
    I hope no one attempts to hurt Morgan, or anyone else, over a football game.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Disagree that a death threat is news in this context. People saying stupid stuff on Twitter does not need to be news.

Draft saved Draft deleted