1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death threats for Joshua Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Usually when I use the line "people scare me" I'm being a smidge facetious and talking about people here.
    With this, people scare me. Really? I know the NFL is important and all. I know the penalty was remarkably stupid.
    But really?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/19/redskins-joshua-morgan-receiving-death-threats-twi/?cache

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mitch Williams feels Joshua Morgan's pain.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got multiple death threats after I wrote that a quarterback was unhappy with the head coach and wanted to transfer. The coach said publicly that I made up the story and I got four death threats. Three were easily dismissed, but one really scared me because he knew where I lived and he knew my schedule (which the only way he could have known if he was stalking me).

People are fucked up. Nothing surprises me anymore.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kyle Williams can relate.

5. Riptide

Not everyone watched that game or saw the highlights, though. Including me. So would it kill (sorry) the writer to recap the play and the penalty in this story? Even a link to the gamer would help. Fundamental journalism. Sheesh.

6. Moderator1

yeah, it's a blog post and it is being updated. But thanks for the advice, we appreciate it.

7. Riptide

Thanks. Couldn't tell it was a blog post.

8. Moderator1

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing - we're trying to give our blogs more of a presence on our main page but the problem there is the point you mentioned earlier. They're designed to be quick hits, updated regularly if there's a need. Yet positioning them as a story - well, you get what we're trying to say. We're working on it.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

As I recall, Ed Hochuli got death threats after his famous botched call in a Chargers/Broncos game several years ago.

Some folks really do need to cut back on the caffeine.

10. Moderator1

Also, thanks for understanding I meant thanks - I went and read it again and thought it might come off as snarky. Was definitely not my intent.

11. Riptide

Actually, your responses were outstanding. That's great customer service!!! :)

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of course it hasn't ever been aimed at me, so WTF do I know, but is a Twitter death threat really a death threat? There have been so many of these, and Twitter is such an insanely stupid form of communication anyway, that I don't know how anyone can take them seriously.

However, it would be great to chase down these assholes and publicly identify them for a story about fan emotions.

Draft saved Draft deleted