1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death penalty for a non-murder

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 23, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So???
    My view is basically that I don't trust the government to spend my money intelligently, let alone be able to decide who should live and die. For me, that's all there is to it, although I can understand why others can feel that very bad people don't deserve to live.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

How is that an extreme? I think "Don't drive drunk" is kind of a good idea. Kinda.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't understand the death penalty as we here in the United States apply it.

For instance, what did we accomplish by killing off Timothy McVeigh? Maybe, just maybe in his old age he'd have been willing to open up and talk about his crime candidly and give us some more information about it and whatnot.

And for instance, a person like that Karla Faye Tucker (was that her name?) -- her crimes were so long ago and she's changed so much, it almost seemed like a waste of time to kill her. I don't think society was better off without her.

I guess what I am saying is the death penalty in the United States really doesn't do much to deter crime, nor is their generally much connection between the crime and the punishment.

Now in some of the other countries -- where they drag you out into the town square and shoot or hang your ass about ten minutes after you are convicted, well, that makes more sense.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it's .01%, that's enough.

I can name at least 1/2 dozen high profile cases here in Canada where the death penalty would have resulted in the murder of innocent people.

The U.S is the last civilized country that still has the death penalty. You're up there with all your favourite dictatarships: Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia & China. Do you really want to be grouped in with that gang?

Capital punishment doesn't deter crime. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

It's discriminatory.

It's not justice, it's revenge.

And Inky, don't take pride in celebrating barbarism.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't drive drunk is fine. Capital punishment for manslaughter is.

I'm not a fan of capital punishment at all, but definitely not in the case of somebody who had no intention whatsoever of killing anyone and ended up doing it out of pure stupidity.

Do we need harsher punishments for people who kill someone while driving drunk? Sure. But not that harsh.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I can't believe I even partially agree with zagoshe, but it's one of many reasons to abolish the death penalty. My big thing is what JR nailed on the head. It's not justice, it doesn't teach anyone any lessons (at least that they'd have the opportunity to implement). It's revenge. It's barbaric at worst, and hypocritical at best. It's essentially a society saying "you don't have the right to take a life, but we do." There's something very wrong about that, to me.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

If I ever meet you I owe you a high-five.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Meanwhile, in Topeka, a man who raped a 12-year-old girl REPEATEDLY got three years of probation. No jail time. I'll try to find a link.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't support the death penalty because beyond the moral arguments, I demand absolute perfection from a legal system designed to deliver an irrevocable punishment. Any system run by humans cannot meet that standard.

Draft saved Draft deleted