1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death penalty for a non-murder

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 23, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agree with it or not, and in some cases I don't, intent is very important in our legal system. How many drunk drivers do you really think got behind the wheel intending to kill somebody?

2. KG

KG Active Member

I guess I'm thinking of this on more of a personal level than the level of the law. On a personal level, I just don't think that people like that should be allowed to live.

On a level of the law, I'm clueless of all the parameters, so I really can't say much.

Then again, I'm not sure we as humans have the right to say who lives or dies. If it came down to the decision being up to me, I couldn't do it because I don't know that it really is ok for us to make that kind of decision.

But IF I had that confirmed, then yes, I would flip the switch myself for a person that commits such a crime against a child. If they did it to an adult, no, life in prison for that, but a child--fry MF.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I would just love to see some of these people who praise the death penalty try to flip that switch and actually kill someone ... I know I couldn't do it unless someone had harmed someone I loved, and then any decision I made wouldn't be rational.

Who are we to play God? Keeping someone from hurting others and ending their life are two different things.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's basically how I feel.

5. KG

KG Active Member

That's my point in having to have it confirmed (which is impossible) that it really is ok.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, JR, that's not what this is. But thanks for painting with a broad brush.

But if it's bloodthirsty for me to want somebody who raped a child to be executed for their crime against humanity, then I'll wear that badge proudly. If it's bloodthirsty for me to want people who rape babies and film it to be executed for their crimes against the most innocent victims in the world, then you can tattoo it across my forehead.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

My thoughts on the death penalty are similar, especially the playing God aspect. On the other hand, if it were my mom or sister or any loved one who was the victim of a horrible crime, I'm guessing I'd have a different outlook.

8. Hammer Pants

And it wouldn't be a rational outlook. I'm the same way.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Rational or not, I find it hard to judge people who have lost loved ones and want the person responsible dead. Like the playing God angle, who am I to say what they should feel/want?

10. Hammer Pants

And if they can keep a sound mind, what they want/feel is more valid. Crazy people make changes, but they also make the problems that make change necessary. People have the right to prosecute any crime to the maximum penalty ... but that doesn't make the punishment appropriate.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep.

Don't like it? Don't drive drunk.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And on the other ridiculous extreme...

Draft saved Draft deleted