1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death penalty for a non-murder

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 23, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still say life in prison...and make sure every other inmate in the prison knows exactly what the guy did.

2. boots

boots New Member

That can be the attention the guy is striving for.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The death penalty would be quite possibly unconstitutional in such a case, according to past precedent.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, it's our monthly, bloodthirsty "kill all the prisoners" thread.

Thank God none of you actually went to law school.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My take on the death penalty goes back and forth, but I usually say I'm not in favor of it because it's not our job as humans to play God and take someone's life. My stance on abortion is the same but it's complicated further to the Nth degree because I'm not a woman. Preserving life through medicine is fine, but saying who doesn't get to live is selfish, arrogant and stupid, in my opinion.

All that said ... I would not feel terribly sorry if any proven-beyond-a-reasonable doubt rapist was ever put to death. Taking the most intimate, beautiful and personal act in life and destroying it is nearly the same thing as murder, in my book. It's psychological murder.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How about drunk drivers who kill someone? Should we execute them?

7. Hammer Pants

Depends on whether you think murderers deserve the death penalty. Drunk driving is first degree murder if you intentionally got drunk and intentionally got behind the wheel, in my opinion.

8. outofplace

The actual killing is not premeditated. Though I would say once the person serves whatever sentence they get, if they EVER drink and drive again, automatic 20 years in prison minimum. Period. End of fucking story. This means you, Leonard Little.

For the record, I don't believe in the death penalty for the rapist, either. Perhaps life with a rusty pole shoved so far up his ass he can tase it, but not death.

9. Hammer Pants

The actual killing is not premeditated, but if the decision to get drunk and then get in the car was intentional ... what's the difference?

10. outofplace

Think about actually taking a moment and deciding to murder another human being, then executing that decision. In the eyes of the law, and my own, that makes the crime much more severe than making an incredibly reckless decision that leads to the death of another person.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not trying to stir up trouble here, JR, but the extent to which the death penalty has been taken in this case is a bit surprising. I'm not advocating the death penalty for people convicted of similar crimes, but neither can I say, as a parent, that I wouldn't be filled with a bloodlust had someone done something like that to my son.

12. Hammer Pants

That's a good point, too. But you could argue that every case of drunk driving is attempted second-degree murder ... It's not just recklessness ...

Draft saved Draft deleted