1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death panel kills pothead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 24, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The lung went to someone else though, right? There isn't an unlimited supply here.

I'm going to guess there are stringent rules all potential organ recipients must follow, and that drug use is pretty high on the list.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Only good people get the good pink ones.

Lungs. I'm talking about lungs.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The outdoor enthusiast was admitted to the U. Hospital on Dec. 2, his father said, and was put on life support two weeks later. He was denied transplant eligibility at the U. in early April.​

His dad said he'd been pot-free for a year but then smoked on Thanksgiving -- and then the THC showed up in his system in April? Wouldn't he have had to smoke quite a lot in November for pot to still be showing up in his system in April? Unless, of course, he smoked more recently than that.

In a statement at the time, the U. said it does not comment on individual patient cases, but university spokeswoman Kathy Wilets said under the hospital's transplant policy, "We do not transplant organs in patients with active alcohol, tobacco or illicit drug use or dependencies until these issues are addressed, as these substances are contraindicated for a transplant."

Patients remain ineligible at least until undergoing a treatment or cessation program, Wilets added. The policy is designed, she said, to give patients a higher chance of surviving surgery and recovery.
    Seems like a reasonable policy to me.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't go lettin' stuff like that be a distraction when virtue-signaling is such a priority.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So anyone on prescription drugs doesn't get a lung?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But not to the hospital which gave him a transplant.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I see your copy of @Riptide's Sick Burns for Dummies arrived in the mail this weekend.

Ace likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Prescription drugs aren't illegal, right? If they were in that instance, then no, that person would not get a lung.

This isn't some knee-jerk reaction. The organ transplant process is guarded by about a million different regulations to ensure fairness. There is strong scientific evidence behind these policies. In this case the evidence shows that people who are on drugs do not do as well after receiving the transplant.

Hermes likes this.
  10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I did marketing writing for a children's hospital at my last job. When I was there, we had a sizeable controversy when the hospital denied a teenager a heart transplant. The parents went to the media and said he was denied because he was poor and black. The reality was he was denied because he regularly missed appointments and didn't follow doctor's orders, things you HAVE to be relied on to do when you receive a transplant.

The requirements for getting a transplant are very strict and explained well in advance. And the consequences of not living up to those standards are made very clear.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Big Med is awful except for the company that pays you. #Aceethics

QYFW likes this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

TSP doesn't believe you.

Draft saved Draft deleted