1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of the term newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IGotQuestions, Mar 30, 2007.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003563918

Discuss.

Apologies if this thread exists.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The thread doesn't exist, I don't think, and the whole thing is worthy of discussion -- I saw it yesterday, should have posted it perhaps -- but they're not exactly talking about the term "newspaper" dying. They're talking about a more all-encompassing "n" word for ASNE.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's fine and inevitable and yadda, yadda, yadda -- I have nothing against the concept of allowing in other media. However, as long as we haven't given up on newspapers -- as we still search for solutions to save them -- is it not counterproductive to eliminate specialization for industry conventions and the like? Won't the risk be that discussions about newspapers become diluted, thus making it even more unlikely that solutions can be found? For instance, if APSE were to open membership to, say, TV people, wouldn't something be lost, and wouldn't the glitz and money of TV begin to dominate the organization? No disrespect to the veteran newspaper journalists who have joined major news and sports Web sites, but this week's Poynter eye-tracking report seems to indicate that our readers and theirs behave differently, and the people producing Web and print need distinct strategies. There is absolutely nothing wrong with newspaper journalists becoming more Web savvy, but this should be in addition to, not in place of. If editors wish to join organizations that encompass all media, fine, but I believe there still needs to be newspaper-only discussions if we are to get anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted