1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of the Sports Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Great points and thoughts in this column by Tim Keown.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7319161/espn-death-sports-interview

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was this published in the newest ESPN The Magazine, which is The Interviee Issue?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The distance between fans and athletes has never been smaller thanks to Twitter.

"The death of the sports interview" hurts the media much more than the fans.

4. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Chris Jones's backpage column touches on this topic, too, and I thought it was pretty great. Can't find it online yet, not sure if it will be at all, but it's worth at least picking up the mag if you see it in a store somewhere.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ah, this explains Jones' tweets from Tuesday.

He had a few, all making the same point, including this one:

"LeBron James gave Charlie Pierce 15 minutes for an SI cover story. Mailer ran with Ali."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a big reason I soured on the profession. Everything is so insanely choreographed. No one tells you anything. A few times a year, I would get decent time with subjects for a piece. But mostly, it was gang-bang bullshit.

When I freelance from time to time now, I often get to interview real people about the interesting things they are doing. Just a couple of guys shooting the shit. It's blissful.

8. YankeeFan

Well, that, and you couldn't wear your muscle shirts & flip flops anymore.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, could that disparity have something to do with the fact Ali is a profoundly interesting person and James is profoundly not? Fifteen minutes might be all he can handle in the self-revelation department.

10. YankeeFan

I willing to admit, I'm not qualified to answer that question.

Maybe some others can weigh in on that one.

11. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Brandon, you recently did an ESPN: The Magazine story that I enjoyed about a down-on-his-luck everyman basketball player from Chicago who seemed to give you plenty of time to learn his story.

That's the kind of freaking sports journalism I like to both read and, once upon a time and hopefully again some day, undertake.

Draft saved Draft deleted