1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of the Nascar beat?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, May 4, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Relax. It was a joke.

FYI, it wasn't a typo. You omitted a letter. In addition, your 'spell check' wouldn't have helped, since 'rack' is an accepted English spelling with with nine definitions.

RE: TYPO...
    This is a mistake I see all the time.

FROM MERRIAM-WEBSTER:

typographical error noun an error in printed or typewritten matter resulting from striking the improper key of a keyboard, from mechanical failure, or the like.

2. It was a typo, Mr. Anal.

I rewrote the sentence and obviously hit space before I hit the T ... typo.

And I don't run spellcheck. My spelling is fine 99 percent of the time, a lot better than the majority of the people on here, but I don't feel the need to go around pointing out others' mistakes.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That said, my now-and-then forays into the NASCAR nation (or the Goober Nation as a friend once called it) don't indicate a death of the beat. All papers are cutting back a little on the travel, including mine. Cutting back on some other beats as well. It remains a very heavily covered sport.

4. lono

lono Active Member

There are more people in the media centers than ever before.

But they aren't all from Southern daily newspapers, like they used to be.

ESPN.com and some other 'Net sites have ramped up coverage significantly, there are foreign reporters, satellite radio people, etc., etc.

The crowd is getting bigger, but the demographics are changing. Expect that to continue.

5. fishwrapper

Believe me, I'm not anal. I was just pointing it out.
    And, it wasn't a typo.

These examples would have been typos:

t rack
    rtack
    trrack

6. Move on ... ::)

7. fishwrapper

You're absolutely right.

Plus, I think it is important to make a distinction here.
    NASCAR is a 'sport' beat. It's not a 'team' beat. One writer, with the added sider or column when needed, can cover the entire sport.
    Compare that to, say, a city with an NBA team. They need a team beat reporter -- and more than likely -- a national perspective.
    So, when papers look at their coverage, how much more bang are they getting by sending their own reporter to do a gamer? In NASCAR's case, not much.
    There are exceptions. Eddie Hinton. Dave Poole, etc. But, for smaller papers, they're going to have a tough time beating AP's team of Jenna Fryer, Mike Harris, and Brian Horton. It's not a slight to the smaller paper, but just simple fact.

EDIT: fixes their/there. Eddy/Eddie. Happy?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eddy Hinton?

9. I wasn't going to say anything, Moddy, but since you brought it up, he also incorrectly spelled 'their.' ;D

10. fishwrapper

Known Ed for 19 years. Thanks.
    And, I believe Poole goes by David in his byline.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the golf beat -- why would you have a year-round writer for a sport that only competes in your coverage area once or twice a year? Of course, the bean counters say that without any blue font sarcasm, and they're the ones who control the whole shebang.

As for saying a small-town writer couldn't cover the beat as well as Harris, Fryer and Co. at AP -- that's certainly not untrue, but if those writers don't even get the chance by covering races in their own backyard and others maybe within a few hours of home, it's a loss for the entire industry.

12. fishwrapper

I agree. I see the trends and the rationale, not only at my paper but across the country.
    It is most definitely a loss for the industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted