1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Death of Susan Ross" anniversary thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, May 16, 2008.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Agreed it started to have a different feel the last couple of years, but I'm surprised when I look at all of the highlights of those seasons broken down the way they have been here. Conventional wisdom says it wasn't so good the last few years, but still lots of worthwhile stuff.

I love the Costanza parents ... Frank, in Festivus: And now, we come to the airing of grievances ... I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE ... and now you're gonna hear about 'em.

And Estelle in the one where George and Lloyd Braun are selling computers out of the garage, shrieking from off camera: YOU'RE NOT GIVING AWAY OUR WATER PIK!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't let FB see this thread.

Someone will pay.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Too late. And he is railing on about horrible deaths, so you may be right.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seinfeld fans have this disease which convinces them that uber-dumb episodes like the Frogger show are funny. It seems that because these characters established themselves in such an interesting way in the show's early and middle years, they get a free pass for the shitty late years.

The Frogger show, it isn't last season of Rosanne bad, but since Seinfeld was so good at its peak, that episode is a pretty steep fall. Again, if that plotline appeared on something like Suddenly Susan, Seinfeld fans would rightfully rip it to shreds.

Don't get me started on Fesitivus. A dumb, mean-spirited concept for a sitcom gag that's actually been appropriated by Seinfeld nerds/miserable fucks as a holiday of their own. Airing of grievances? Air this.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The finale left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people who were hoping for some un-Seinfeld like ending. Those people have yet to recover, thereby making everything in the last few years uncool.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Fine, Bubbler. We'll just exclude you from the feats of strength.

7. How could anyone not find Festivus funny?
    "A Festivus for the rest of us," feats of strength, airing of grievances, a pole Frank drags around.
    That's funny.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

To be fair, Bubbler, Festivus was based on a true story. The writer of the episode's father celebrated Festivus for the same reason Frank did on the show. When he told the other writers of the show, Seinfeld included, they said, "That is an episode. You need to write that."

The late episodes are some of my favorites, but you're right, Seinfeld was at its peak in Seasons 3, 4 and 5. Larry David left after 7, and they started running out of ideas after the 180th episode or so -- which is completely acceptable, in my opinion. I still think there were plenty of great episodes, like The Puerto Rican Day Parade, The Merv Griffin Show and The Strike.

I respect your opinion -- as always -- but disagree that the last few seasons weren't that funny. I still laugh at all of them. Of course, I laugh at just about anything.

9. Poop.

Are you laughing?

I agree though. Season 9 is definitely past the show's prime, but it's still better than the prime of a lot of shows.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A little bit. My best friend wears a T-shirt that reads, "POOP." He came out of his room with it on one day, and his dad put his head down, then looked to his mom and said, "Susan, we're raising a retard."

So, yeah. Poop makes me laugh.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Even their bad shows had occasional funny lines. As for Susan's death, Kramer saying, "Poor Lily," makes me laugh.

I still say the best show ever was the trip to the Hamptons when they all went "to see the bay-bee," and Kramer stole the lobsters from the ocean while George suffered from "shrinkage."

I can't understand people who don't laugh at parts of that episode.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I thought it was a solid episode, but the whole "ugly baby" creating those types of reactions was really mean. And I'm normally one that laughs at the misfortunes of others.

As for my favorite episode, I've got to say The Contest. I still don't think I've laughed as hard at any part of Seinfeld as I did when Kramer burst in the room screaming "I'm out".

Draft saved Draft deleted