1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of Herald Tribune, 40 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hungryhungryhippo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Breslin, Royko, Waldmeir ...or ... Loopy, Munster and the Dwarf....
    How times have changed in the big cities.....

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've heard people talk about SE Stanley Woodward with a reverence you wouldn't believe.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm staring at my bookshelf copy of The Paper (obtained off Amazon at a most-reasonable
    price). The section on sports is alone worth the price of admission.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I read his books Sports Page and Paper Tiger, both excellent. I notice now that the cheapest copy of Paper Tiger available on the Net is $73.88. I may have to think about selling mine.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sports Page is a magnificent book. I was always told the H-T sealed its own fate during WWII. Newsprint was limited. The Times decided to forego ads for war news, the H-T went the other way. Times circulation soared past them, and when the war ended, the advertisers jumped, too. After that, the paper didn't have the strength to fight off TV.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yessss... that is a great story. Anybody can learn a lot about writing from that story.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sports Page and Paper Tiger are not to be found at reasonable prices. If you find
    either at a rummage sale, grab -- and run.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"There has never been a sports editor like Stanley Woodward. Hell, there never has been any editor at all like Stanley Woodward, and things being what they are in my business — where graphics, charts, information snippets and other adjuncts are often permitted to cannibalize the written word — there never will be again. " - Jerry Izenberg

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/sports/ledger/izenberg/content/jerry_two.html

9. oldhack

oldhack Member

OK, OK.

I just posted a PM to Gold about this that I had to split into two pieces. So this is the Readers Digest version, without all the background I made Gold wade through:

1. By the time Whitney bought the paper, it was in pretty bad shape, courtesy of the silly Reids. See The Paper.

2. A strike in '62 was settled at a horrific price for the NYC publishers. Yes, they got some rights to use automated typesetting, which the Herald Tribune, stupidly, did not take advantage of, but the wage rates went through the roof, folding one newspaper, the Mirror, within months of the settlement.

3. Whitney understood more about the importance of a great cadre of editors and reporters than he did about a strong, enterprising business operation. Lesson: They go hand in hand.

4. The '62 settlement, forced on the other publishers by the News and the Times, weakened the Herald Tribune, Journal-American and World-Telegram to the point that they entered into an ill-conceived and poorly planned JOA, the idea being a morning M-Sat H-T, a p.m. World Journal and one Sunday paper, editorially pretty much the Herald Tribune. They didn't talk to advertisers, distributors or the unions, who shut it down before the presses started on the first edition. Whitney pulled out as he saw his editors and reporters moving to other papers, into TV or magazines. The project got off the ground with a p.m.-Sunday paper that folded within a year.

Note that no one has mentioned: New York magazine was the Sunday magazine of the Herald Tribune, with Felker as editor, before it went independent after the HT folded. Lots of Wolfe's stuff ran in the magazine. And the Herald Trib published a great book review, called Book World, which was the lively, interesting, imaginative alternative to the dull NYT Book Review.

10. jaredk

jaredk Member

Except he wrote it for Esquire.

11. oldhack

oldhack Member

You're right. I stand corrected.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Ridgeway,

I'd sell your copy of Paper Tiger ASAP. The market is going to crater. The University of Nebraska Press is publishing Paper Tiger (new introduction by John Schulian) next year. Bison Books imprint, maybe.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted