1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of a Racehorse: the results

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SJ Staff, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And if he worked for Gannett, he didn't do a local reaction story on Air Lift's death with mainstreaming.

(And I'll echo the others, outstanding work).

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They were both neighsayers.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Nice work.

And kudos to the Keeneland library.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Great, now all the yahoos on Deadspin will be flowing over to SportsJournalists.com to sign up....

....oh, wait...they're already here!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Keeneland is the best.

Good work.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tip of the hat to you.

That is great detective work and belongs in the SJHOF.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought the information was a little dated.

8. SJ Staff

SJ Staff Administrator Staff Member

One of the Deadspin commenters provided a link to the story behind the story of result charts: the chart callers.

Very good read if you like this kind of stuff.

http://www.drf.com/news/chart-callers-inexact-science-behind-basic-betting-tool

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great stuff. That is a terrific story. As an occasional racegoer (my brother can read the ink off a Form) I have always wondered about what in to making up the charts and past performances.

10. SJ Staff

SJ Staff Administrator Staff Member

Kind of funny. I made many calls to the New York Racing Authority and never heard back, which is why the Air Lift race result came from Keeneland's librarian.

Well, yesterday the NYRA calls back and directs me to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. They have results dating all the way back to the 1840s.

A man in the library by the name of Allen Carter was really helpful as I asked about those old results. I thought about Jeff MacGregor, who calls Death of a Racehorse the Gettysbury Address of sportswriting, and I wondered if there was a race card from 11/13/1863 -- when Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address.

"Of course that was during the Civil War so there was a shortage of horses," Carter said.

I asked "Were there any races on November 13, 1863, or that month at least?"

Carter pushed a few buttons on his computer and found that yes, Baltimore's Herring Run Course held a few races November 11, 1863 -- 2 days before Lincoln's speech. The bottom of this page also shows racing that day in Louisiana.

[​IMG]

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff, horse racing has such a rich history but so little of it is known.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

You should be writing this for SB Nation, and getting paid, instead of just having it here. Deadspin is making nickels off your legwork. Pitch something to Stout.

Draft saved Draft deleted