1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of a family member

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear the bad news.

As for the coincidence with the song, it is amazing how many songs can fit different situations like this. Songs are really only about a few things and death is one of the primary subjects so if it wasn;t that song it would have been another.

Still, that won't stop you from remembering your grandfather every time you hear it. I've done that with about a dozen songs over the years and I still get a little misty thinking about friends who are no longer with us when I hear those songs.

Pretty soon, instead of the grief and sadness that comes over you when you hear that song, all that will happen is a smile will come to your face remembering all of the good times. Then, it will be an unexpected bright spot to your day.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

May your grandfather RIP Jake.

Good to hear your bosses are being supportive. That is VERY important.

When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, it caused all kinds of havoc with my schedule as he lived a two-hour flight away. Between visits and other things (long story) I was out of work quite a bit.

I spent a long weekend with him knowing it would be the last I saw him alive. Said goodbye Sunday morning and flew home. I went to work that Monday night after five straight days off. About halfway through my shift, I get a call. I should call my brother on his cell phone now if I want to speak to my father. He won't make it through the night.

To this day I can't think about that conversation without tearing up, how I sat there in an empty conference room and tried to talk with him.

Now, I never really got along with that particular SE. He was a selfish prick most of the time. But I composed myself, walked out and told him what was happenening. He couldn't send me home fast enough and told me just to let him know when I'd be back. This was early December and I was the lead preps writer on a very small staff, so it wasn't nothing for me to be gone that much.

The SE and the ME, who I also didn't get along with particularly well, could not have been more supportive and classy. I have never forgotten that.

3. My grandfather and I didn't talk very much normally but I spent the last couple of days with him when he was in the hospital dying. We talked about Michael Jordan nearly the entire time. It was when Jordan was still playing. It was odd because neither one of us was a big basketball fan. Jordan was just that good.

4. Big Game

Big Game Member

My condolences, Jake. It sounds like it's been a tough situation. Good luck with everything and if you ever need a place to vent, my PM is always open, as I'm sure any of ours are.

Draft saved Draft deleted