1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death Magnetic!!!! F$%# YEAH!!! Are you alive, MuthaF$#%AS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I come here with my tail, such as it is, between my legs.

I just saw the video for "The Day That Never Comes" and it's fucking awesome. I sat here, transfixed, afraid to look away for fear I might miss something. Can't remember the last time that happened with a music video (probably 1989). I probably read too much into it, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but parts of it seemed like a modern telling/homage to "One."

And the song is really, really good...focused and tight and suspenseful, if that makes any sense. I haven't bought a Metallica album since Black Album, but the singles I heard from Load, Reload and St. Anger felt like big giant unfocused messes. It was as if Metallica was no longer sure what it was: Old school heavy metal band? Mainstream metal? Ironic alternative? Whatever they were, the songs were sludge. This isn't Kill 'Em All, but it sounds like traditional Metallica in that it's heavy, moody, layered and so tight that eight minutes just fly right by.

Damn. I was fuckin impressed. I might actually have to a.) stop calling this album Supersuck Fantastic and b.) buy it.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

BYH, your post made me smile.

And I haven't seen the video yet.

As for people still harpoing on the whole Napster thing, and my resultant point that they understand things a lot better now, from the wikipedia page for Death magnetic (which remains a horrible title):

On 2 September, a French record store began selling copies of Death Magnetic, nearly two weeks ahead of its scheduled worldwide release date,[29] which resulted in the album being made prematurely available on peer-to-peer clients. This prompted the band's United Kingdom distributor, Vertigo Records, to officially release the album two days ahead of schedule, on 10 September.[4] It is currently unconfirmed whether Metallica or Warner Bros. will be taking any action against the retailer, though drummer Lars Ulrich who was questioned about the leak on a San Francisco radio station responded,[30]
    “ We're ten days from release. I mean, from here, we're golden. If this thing leaks all over the world today or tomorrow, happy days. Happy days. Trust me. Ten days out and it hasn't quote-unquote fallen off the truck yet? Everybody's happy. It's 2008 and it's part of how it is these days, so it's fine. We're happy. ”

He later told USA Today,[31]
    “ By 2008 standards, that's a victory. If you'd told me six months ago that our record wouldn't leak until 10 days out, I would have signed up for that. We made a great record, and people seem to be getting off on it way more than anyone expected."

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Here you go, Piotr.

This is really fucking good. So fucking suspenseful.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You're kidding, right?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

As serious as you guarding a six-pack of Miller Lite.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

You're kidding, right?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

pallister: The new Metallica album is better than everything Pantera ever put out other than Vulgar Display of Power, and that's from someone who loved Pantera and briefly discarded Metallica in favor of them, even with Anselmo's idiotic Axl-esque concert rants.

Hetfield on the video:

That's the beauty, I think, of writing vague but powerful lyrics — that someone like a movie director can interpret it in his own way and obviously, someone creative is able to take the metaphors and apply them to whatever he needs in his own life," the frontman explained. "The main [theme of the video] is the human element of forgiveness and someone doing you wrong, you feeling resentment and you being able to see through that in the next situation that might be similar and not take your rage or resentment out on the next person and basically keep spreading the disease of that through life...The one thing that I wasn't keen on here was Metallica plugging into a modern war or a current event [that] might be construed as some sort of political statement on our part... There are so many celebrities that soapbox their opinions, and people believe it's more valid because they're popular. For us, people are people — you should all have your own opinion. We are hopefully putting the human element in what is an unfortunate part of life. There are people over there dealing with situations like this, and we're showing the human part of being there

8. pallister

pallister Guest

This actually makes sense.

But anyone who actually thought the video would end with a shooting or explosion is braindead.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasn't sure how it would end. That's what I liked about it. That and how perfectly the video seemed to fit the song.

But I guess that's not SMART ENOUGH for a guy who roots for the White Sox. Bitch. :D

10. pallister

pallister Guest

You're dumb, though. And the song blows.

You catch the top 100 songs of the '80s on VH1 last night?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Would you two just hump and get it over with already?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but I have standards.

I was touched improperly once by a guy in a muscle T-shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted