1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death Magnetic!!!! F$%# YEAH!!! Are you alive, MuthaF$#%AS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If St. Anger was Metallica's one stinkfest . . . then whose stinkfest quota did they steal from to make Load and Re-Load?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Word for word. The Stones are just ancient. Aerosmith decided, at 40 or 45, to destroy a pretty good legacy as the American version of the Stones in order to start singing songs that put 12-year-old asses in the seats. They are so many levels of suck.

Plus, at least the Stones put out one studio album for every live album/compilation. Aerosmith puts out, I swear, three compilations per studio album.

I truly loathe them.

They're still not as embarrassing as Metallica, though. "Unforgiven III?" Does it feature Patrick Ewing on vocals?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a tribute to Chicago (the band). When they do eight Unforgiven's, they can do a greatest hits of Unforgiven's and call it Unforgiven IX. Later, James Hetfield can go solo and do the theme song for Karate Kid 2016.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Unforgiven XXV or VI to IV.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're brilliant, that's what you are.

6. Piotr Rasputin

The Stones ceased to put out relevant music with Tattoo You. Which came out when they were all 40-something.

I guess since Metallica was so innovative, and a standard-bearer for their genre, that their fall is seen as being just as bad as the former rockers who now sing for teenyboppers and their grandparents. To me, it's just an embarrassment that they can't take a photo with fans without doing the Dio devil horns with their hands, they are putting out an album with all these Slayer-esque tough guy song titles, and they clearly aren't interested in saying, "well hell . . . we're 44 now. Maybe that means we could actually examine that, instead of constantly trying to recapture what we did when we were 20?"

No band can stay the same for its entire existence. Nor should they. But the reports - similar to what was said when St. Anger was released - of this being a "return to roots," a "sound like Master of Puppets!!!" etc. . . . . . ring so damn hollow. While between them, they barely contained enough material for one solid hard rock album, Load and Re-Load at least indicated a band trying to attempt something different than what they had done before, and stay within the realm of music not made to sit in the CD rack next to Spice Girls and boy bands.

I fear this "return to form" will just sound sad.

EDIT: Nice, BYH.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks. That one actually made me laugh as I posted it.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

reviving a dormant thread... but just saw Metallica's newest video "The day that never comes"

HOLY F-IN SHIT!

Vintage.
    http://www.youtube.com/MetallicaTV

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Meh. I liked that song the first time I heard it, when it was called SanitariumOneDisposableHeroes.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Whatever. I think it rules.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Whatever. I'm getting cheese fries.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Heard about half the new record.

Much better than St. Anger, and it might be their best record in 20 years. Which isn't saying much, but still.

The thing is, when they were in their prime, they put out three consecutive records (Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, . . . And Justice For All) that all had similar layouts, with similar track orders and a certain formula. They apparently want to get back to that, and if the music's good, no complaints here. A couple of the solos have sounded like they could have come from the mid-1980s, and some of the riffage sounds pretty solid.

In my opinion, St. Anger sounded like a band facing the fear that its best days are behind it, trying to sound "revitalized!" From what I have heard of this new album, which has a horrible name and dumb song titles, Metallica actually sounds revitalized this time out. Yes, the lyrics are largely a return to the cheesy tales Hetfield told 20-25 years ago, but again, a lot of the guitar and drum work has been a pleasant surprise.

I've only heard half of it, of course, but I don't expect this on to be almost completely phased out of its own tour like St. Anger was. I expect the live shows this fall will be awesome, as usual. Even if there is now a complete focus on material that is at least 17 years old.

Draft saved Draft deleted