1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death in an elevator, dyin' while we're goin' up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Dec 15, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I knew her and I know her boyfriend, who lived with her. ... in passing.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My condolences. My friend's husband used to work for Otis, installing elevators in new buildings. He always talks about how dangerous elevators can be.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This will absolutely happen in my building someday. We have four elevators for seven floors, and no more than two ever work at a given time. People routinely get stuck 1-2 times a week. The doors slam shut regardless of what's in the way. Rumor is they steal parts from the other elevators to make repairs, since the parts don't exist anymore.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Is this how they will eventually kill off Sterling on Mad Men?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Given how many people travel in elevators every day and how redundant the safety systems are, you're more likely to die by lightening than on an elevator (of course the latest incident is tragic.)

Draft saved Draft deleted