1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeArmond shares story on depression to help others understand Beasley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 25, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I lived with it for years -- not me but Mrs. Exmediahack. Part of it was Post-partum depression, part of it was probably being married to a sports guy who barely made enough scratch to keep a roof over our heads.

Gosh, that was hard. Coming home and never knowing which person you would see.

Glad we're through it but I am definitely sensitive to those battling it.

Best wishes Mike -- and even to Beasley -- and this is from a Kansas fan. :)

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Note to aspiring sportswriters: You don't have to be depressed or be battling alcoholism to jump onto this trend.

My take is, a LOT of us can personally relate and connect to the national epidemic on obesity. So let's all cut open our veins at the keyboard, and let the melted mozzarella ooze out.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No it's not sad. But I care more about a father working two jobs to make ends meet and try to hold off a foreclosure AND dealing with depression or other mental issues before I'm going to care about a young, rich athlete being depressed. At least Michael Beasley has the money to get the best care possible. What about the millions of other people with far less resources going through the same problem. No one gives a shit about them. But we're going to wring our hands and go boo-fucking-hoo over Michael Beasley and Stephon Marbury melting down.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I can see how people are cynical about Beasley's depression since 72 hours he sent out a picture of with him standing by a table with baggies on it.

5. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Yeah Mike, it was brave. Don't kid yourself. Outstanding blog entry.

I've known Mike for more than 20 years, since I was a naive journalism student at the University of Missouri and a correspondent for the Kansas City Star and Times. Never had any idea he battled this. Super guy and a great reporter. Glad your comeback continues. We all have demons to fight.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's not about them melting down. It's about an issue that affects so many people's lives on a regular basis. Having a national face on the issue might help awareness and understanding about the condition spread.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

See Hondo ... the money here is simply not even close to the issue and, if anything, it really could make it worse for him until he gets his mind in a spot where he understands he needs help. That money can cover up a lot of shit and help him keep the facade that all is well when, indeed, it's not.

Certainly, once he is ready to move forward his money will make it so that his resources are top notch, but even that doesn't guarantee a damn thing. The guy could end up pissing on himself in a gutter, which kind of makes all the money in the world beside the point. I started my issues when I had literally just doubled my salary and was at the point in life where an awful lot of work was starting to pay off.

I was fortunate to have a wife who stayed on me to get some help and I eventually worked out of it. Took eight solid months and then a year or so beyond that to really get control of it. But it wouldn't have mattered if I made $10,000 annually or $10 million ... the shit was hell. It might not make any sense to those who have never been there — and if your life is all about money perhaps it's tough to understand this — but millionaire or not I am certainly glad I am not Michael Beasley right now.

8. bob

bob Member

Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy recently described the depression he was battling when he was recovering from lung cancer surgery and unable to work. Told us he's on meds and getting better every day. It was rather stunning to hear him admit it, but it's nice to see people coming out of the closet so they can help others.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i don't know anybody who takes it lightly. the problem is that too many people treat it with pills - and that's what Big Pharma wants - a lifetime depressed customer. it's not always chemical - most of the time it isn't. in ancient times people dealt with depression through philosophy - through a change in thinking, and values. that's the healthiest and most permanent solution, but of course it's not profitable for Big Pharma, so it is minimized, while the chemical genetic cause is emphasized. depression is rampant in american culture because of its harsh demands and material values - it barely exists in a place like Tibet.

Draft saved Draft deleted