1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dearest moderators,

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Of course not. But it's also a matter of context. I've been on boards where even a whiff of off-topic gets your post striken and some form of punishment meted. I never stay long at those places, but I'm sure there's a community that appreciates that narrow focus.

I'm not a moderator because I'd suck at it and have no desire to work for free just to regulate posters' temper-tantrums (I moderate comments occasionally on our paper's website, and that's plenty draining enough, and that's actually part of a paying job). I doubt that the "no politics" edict is arbitrary.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Then why can't we get some transparency at least? If you're creating boundaries, it helps to mark them clearly.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Explain what "going South" means and why it would necessitate a thread being locked or deleted.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Personal attacks, attempted and accomplished outing, for starters. I have pretty thick skin, so I'm not especially troubled by it, but that's the sort of thing that reflects poorly on what I presume is intended to be a website for professionals. "At least it's not 4chan bad" isn't much of a standard in that context.

I don't like deleting 80 percent of the comments on my paper's site, but that's only because they don't offend my personal tastes. But it's not about me.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only particularly reprehensible action here is outing, and to my knowledge that hasn't been an issue in a while. I'm all for lifetime bans for that.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Second dat. It would be a Crimea to ban anyone for anything else.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are unwilling to kick the kids out of the classroom for threatening to out, trying to out, making threats and other general contemptible behavior because of how you play with a toy, the only thing left to do is take the toy away.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I never understood why political discussions bother members who have no interest in them. The 3 most
    popular topic categories-- Sports and News, Anything Goes and Journalism each have 25 topics on
    first page along. The political topics are clear. If you don't want to get involved why click on them?
    Would also add that if your highly sensitive you should not click on them either.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Stick to wishing death on the world's entire homosexual population and you'll be sound as a pound.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

While we're all here, I mostly chose to play a character on this site ... a f'kin character.
    I am saddened I need to spell that out.
    Still, if you have bones to pick with FART, send me your phone number and we'll talk.
    NO BULLSHIT OVER THE PMs.
    I have made nice with a few of my former nemeses.
    Maybe we'll even walk away friends! That is how life is.
    But if you hate FART, please, get over yourselves.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you would choose to play a character that many people don't seem to like. But if that's what entertains FART, more power to FART.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm a 3_Octave_Fart fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.