1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dearest moderators,

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If we can't not talk about politics, what can we talk about? And why delete a thread? Are we the International New York Times?

Transparency is a journalism bedrock.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you new here?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's a sports journalism website. You talk about sports. And journalism.

We're not entitled to talk politics here just because we want to. Technically, you could say the same about all the goofy crap on Anything Goes. Difference being is that threads on pooping properly don't routinely turn into total shitshows, whereas politics ones almost always do.

Clearly the people who run the site think that politics talk hurts the site. So it's not allowed. Every time they let a little of it in, it ends with the inevitable buttmad and locked threads. And we go right back to NO POLITICS EVER until the next time, when it all happens again.

Is it really that difficult to not talk about politics on a board that has a long history of being unable to discuss politics civilly?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did you do that on purpose?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That might be something I would do. Do.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Does that mean we have to talk about politics?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's my only reasonable assumption. I don't want to talk about politics, but one of our finest members created a thread with the simple concept of not talking about politics, and it was deleted. Furthermore, none of the moderators pay the bills here. Why are they limiting discussion topics (and, presumably, traffic).

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, my bad. I assumed you had mistyped and meant to write "can't talk about politics." Although I've got to tell you now that I know that wasn't a typo, I have no idea what you're talking about.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, they don't pay the bills. What they do is dedicate their time to keeping this place running without any compensation. That absolutely gives them the right to make choices regarding which topics are allowed and which are not. Also, do you really think that the folks who do pay the bills disagree and allow it to happen anyway?

That thread you admired so much? It was created to thumb their noses at the moderators for doing their jobs. The ones they do for all of us without getting paid. It was created to start shit and I have no problem at all with its deletion. I say all of this as somebody who has had issues with the moderators in the past. I don't agree with some of the choices they have made, including locking the politics thread, but I respect their right to make those decisions.

There are a few posters who constantly push at the rule against political discussion. One in particular got the Ukraine thread locked. Vers, your problem should be with them, and with the other folks who consistently turn political discussions to shit.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I agree with MMii and oop, but I wish offenders were sent to the penalty box for two weeks instead of threads getting locked or deleted. Aren't there mod tools to put people on timeout? If so, what are the drawbacks to using them?
    Seems like a penalty box approach might promote more civility since thread locking obviously isn't doing it.
    Just some thoughts.
    Threads of course could still be locked or deleted, but maybe far less frequently.

???

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Especially sock puppets

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As always, there's little reason to lock or delete threads. If you don't want to read a thread or post on it, nobody is forcing anyone. It's the whiny little bitches who complain to moderators who get threads locked. My guess is the mods just get tired of dealing with some of you. But it's ridiculous that we can't discuss stuff like Crimea.

SnarkShark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.