1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear SkipToMyLou ... (UNLEASH!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Guys, I've been exchanging a couple (hundred) PMs with Skipper, trying to explain that his whole thing isn't working here. And I'm trying, for the life of me, to keep him from getting eaten alive on this site because if that was OK, threads and posts wouldn't be getting deleted.

So please, on this thread, try to explain to a college kid with SO MUCH enthusiasm and opinion why his online persona just ... rubs people the wrong way. Do it in a nice way, please. Maybe one of you can get through to him where I can't.

2. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Re: Dear SkipToMyLou ... (BE NICE!)

I understand what you're saying though. I just overreact sometimes and my opinion might sound overblown. I wish there was an "overblown impending doom" font.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I got nothin'. My online persona rubs people the wrong way, too. I'd only be making it worse. :)

4. imjustagirl

That's because you're a Dick.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good one, IJAG. :D

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You don't walk into a bar and tell all the regulars how smart you are.

You don't start a new job by telling everyone they've been doing it wrong on your fist day.

Same rules apply here. Pull up a stool. Settle in. Get to know the people and the place a little bit.

Then you can be an opinionated dick (lower case) if you want to.

7. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Yankee fan, I'm just wondering, not condescending you so don't take it that way.

But what have I done to suggest I know everything? Because I don't.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can any of these lessons be learned at age 19? I admire your efforts, ijag, but I don't know if anyone that headstrong can be talked out of it then.

In the spirit of advice, I will say to skiptomylou: I consider it a life-changing moment when I came to the realization that I didn't have all the answers. Much happier person.

9. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

I'm 22...

10. imjustagirl

He's 22, as he'll tell you (I called him 21 years old once. ONCE). But he HONESTLY doesn't get how he comes across. That's what I'm trying to make him understand. Not just that he's headstrong, because who wasn't at 22. But he doesn't get how it is portrayed by his words.

EDIT: hahhahahahahhhahaha.

11. imjustagirl

My head just exploded.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Don't post every thought you have. As YF said, sit back and pay attention to the way things work. I've been on this site for about seven years now, and I waited 2-3 years before posting regularly. I was very young when I started and realized that I could learn a lot more about any number of subjects by staying in the background and reading instead of injecting my immature thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.