1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear SJ.com: Can you help me make a mixtape for milady's birthday?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

She freaking adores that "Everything" song, which made it on the last mix, but I have not used any others as of yet. I may have to look through his iTunes catalogue.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Feist isn't a terrible choice.
    Did a terrific cover of the BeeGee's Inside Out.
    May I suggest looking at some of the music from show's like Nip/Tuck?
    They seem to have a pretty good sense when it comes to music.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Let me think..... If you want a little old school, you can add in Sinatra or Dean Martin. I have people who scratch their heads when I say this, but there's also some good Van Morrison stuff too (NOT cliched crap like "Brown Eyed Girl") that you could hit a home run with, and if she happens to like jazz, you could go real old school with Billie Holliday. Let me know if you need more info.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Some others from scrolling my iTunes (with youtube clips):

"Dream" by Priscilla Ahn

"Look Up" by Stars

"Existentialism on Prom Night" by Straylight Run

"Madly" by Tristan Prettyman (think this might be the best of the bunch)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ok ...

... if she likes Grey's Anatomy, you know all about The Postal Service. Maybe you or she do not know that the lead singer of The Postal Service is also the lead singer for Death Cab For Cutie. They just put out a CD last month. Maybe some of their stuff will work.

... Jay-Z is a big supporter and promoter of Lupe Fiasco, who follows in the style of Kanye West. "Superstar" is a song you might have heard during the NBA playoffs.

... the SATC soundtrack is an instant bestseller. Here's the tracklisting: http://www.amazon.com/Sex-City-Original-Soundtrack-Recording/dp/B00004TJAG Jem is my favorite off there; she has a sexy song called "Come on Closer".

... and it can never hurt to go the Oscar route. "Falling Slowly" by The Swell Season from the movie Once gets 'em every time.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Lupe, IMO, has much better songs than "Superstar."

Great call, though, on "Falling Slowly." I should have remembered that, seeing as though I watched the movie 3 times in theaters.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Falling Slowly, which is such a beautiful song, also made it on the last mix. In fact, I gave her the DVD for X-Mas this year. One of my all-time favorites. I can't get her into Death Cab, for whatever reasons. But she does dig Postal Service.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, all. I'm sending mad love your way.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Although it might not fit her tastes musically, Mark Erelli's Compass and Companion (a duet with Kelly Willis) might be a good choice to include

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If you don't mind going a little bit country, I can certainly help you with feel-good-sappy-fun stuff:

-- "These are the Days," Sugarland
    -- "Holdin' You," Gretchen Wilson
    -- "Relentless," Jason Aldean
    -- "Joyride," Jennifer Hanson
    -- "The More that I'm Around You," Kelly Willis
    -- "I Want You With Me," LeAnn Rimes
    -- "A Little More You," Little Big Town
    -- "Eden's Gate," Pat Green
    -- "Always Will," Wynonna

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You could always go with The Frames' version of "Falling Slowly", which is slightly different.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You Are The Sunshine of My Life.

Our wedding song down here. Not new. She's probably heard it. But is it on any of your previous efforts?

Draft saved Draft deleted