1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear SJ.com: Can you help me make a mixtape for milady's birthday?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Friends, enemies, comrades, compatriots, people I may have wrongfully called names many moons ago...

The wife made me promise I would not spend very much on her birthday this year. We are saving our hard-earned nickels for the day when newspapers cough their last dying breath. And for the right to buy overpriced suburban property, and then pay taxes for the right to own it.

I have a few other presents, most of them relatively inexpensive, but what she really likes is when I make her mixtapes (CDs, or iPod playlists really) of stuff she has never heard. In our half-decade together, I've made her something like 14.

Sadly, my creative juices have run dry. I have exhausted my feeble knowledge of good music I think she'd like, and judgement day is fast approaching.

Care to help a foolish man out? She is an unapologetic Coldplay fan, has a shameless crush on Jay-Z, is a lover of all things Grey's Anatomy-related, Sex and the City related, a dreamer with the eye of an artist, and despite our disparate tastes in music and culture, she is, in good times and bad, the best thing I've got going in my life.

All suggestions that do not include W.A.S.P.'s "F--k Like A Beast" or anything from the Luther Campbell oeuvre will be considered.

And rewarded with kind words.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What do you want it to say? What's the theme?

3. Double Down

Shooting for: A seamless blend of "I adore you, and here are some songs that will make you happy, make you want to tap your toe, and tell all your friends your husband rules."

Will settle for: Something fun, with hints of romantic love, and feel-good summer vibes.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Milady?

5. Double Down

I believe that is the proper English spelling, Inky.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Love's Holiday" - Earth, Wind & Fire
    "Anytime" - Brian McKnight
    "Leave A Tender Moment Alone" - Billy Joel
    "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" - James Taylor
    "There's A Place For Us" - Phil Collins

There's five for the sap part of the mix media source (can't call it a mixtape now).

EDIT: "She's Right On Time" - Billy Joel

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A new song called "Violet Hill" off Coldplay's new album is good. (It's not the one that's been played a million times on the commercial) Has some romantic tones to it.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

As for songs that actually played on Grey's episodes that I like: "The Fear You Won't Fall" by Joshua Radin and "Breathe in Breathe out" by Mat Kearney.

9. Double Down

Sadly, I have gone to the Grey's well too many times, and therefore both that Radin song and Kearney song have made appearances on previous mixes. But I appreciate all the suggestions thus far.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How does she feel about Michael Buble?
    Most girls love the Buble ...

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row. As for summer-related and having very roughly to do with love: "Middle of Summer" off the new album by Panic at the Disco.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Then I guess The Fray is out of the question? They were featured on Grey's and are very Coldplay-esque, if you will.

Draft saved Draft deleted