1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear readers: Your team rules. Love, a reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Ever see a letter to the editor from a journalist?

OK, well, ever see one like this?

Putting aside whether it's OK or not, I'm just trying to figure out the motive. Why write something like this?

http://www.leaderherald.com/Letters/articles.asp?articleID=13372

Last Saturday, I witnessed a display of determination and camaraderie I’ve never seen before on a sports field. I’m a reporter for The Daily News in Batavia, and attended the Glove City Colonials-Lyndonville Tigers football game, the season finale in the New York Amateur Football League.

Lyndonville won the game, 28-0. I was at the game to do a story about the Lyndonville team. But the Glove City team stood out. I spent more time on their sideline, getting to know some of their players.

I’m writing to say this team represents Gloversville well, despite its winless record. The 13 or 14 guys who drove five hours across the state deserve the city’s praise for putting up a fight on the football field.

The team forced and recovered three fumbles. They gained first downs. They never took a play off.

Many of the players are second- and third-generation on the team. They played their hearts out, partly wanting to honor the team’s long tradition. I hope it continues and the team has Gloversville’s support. They put on a show Saturday that I won’t forget.

TOM RIVERS

Batavia

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They even tried really hard!

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I bet they've worked so hard!

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

good lord

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So they should be congratulated for doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Where's my pat on the back for not murdering anyone today?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wasn't today the day you were supposed to murder someone?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We're all so proud of them....

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my current gig, I haven't even had the inkling to write a LTE for another pub.

Why couldn't he have written a column -- or at least a blog entry -- for his shop?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It was, but Steve Spurrier was busy, so we re-scheduled.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Is this guy running for a Senate seat next year or something?

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Blog? Not on this website...

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Maybe he was trying to compromise his objectivity so he wouldn't have to cover amateur football anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted