1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear National Anthem singers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 7, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thirded.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder why they don't just clip an Ipad onto the close-up camera and scroll the words down as it is being sung.

Heard on Tony Bruno's show that the off-shore betting palaces got screwed on the National Anthem over/under since it clocked in at .3 seconds below O/U which obviously led to great consternation.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I heard the o/u was 1:56 ... she didn't pass 2 minutes?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nope. The under hit. Couldn't believe it.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Was watching a Blue Jackets game the other day and I actually liked the job their anthem singer did -- Leo Welsh I think his name is. No theatrics, no dragging it out, no passing it off to the crowd, just got up, sang the song, and that was it.

Here's a link from last season

Personally I prefer the instrumental versions for both O Canada and the Star Spangled Banner.

If you're going to sing it, sing it.

But then does it get much better than this?

I don't think anyone questions Aguilera's talent -- for those rushing to her defence -- We're just pissed how badly she butchered the anthem.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

One of the all-time epic anthem failures:

7. This is the national anthem ... It should not be open to interpretation

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Nothing says "land of the free" quite like "YOU HAVE TO SING IT EXACTLY THE WAY I SAY!!!!!!!!!"

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How most people sing it: "O say can you see, na, na, na.., na,..........HOME! OF THE BRAVE!!!!"

10. Nothing says respect for the country that allows you to be free like warbling on like a dying hyena in the name of trying to make a name for yourself. Like someone said earlier, it's about the song, not about the singer.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The notion that there's a "right way" to sing this song, or any song, is silly. And the expectation that performers aren't going to perform this song, or any song, in their own way is absurd.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Wish I could find a YT of Rene Rancourt singing the anthem at a Bruins playoff game in the '80s. With age, he's slowed the tempo a bit, but he could blast it. After he hit the high note on "the rockets' red glare," you could hardly hear the rest, the Garden crowd was so jacked. Excellent "O Canada" too.

Draft saved Draft deleted