1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear National Anthem singers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's how you do the anthem.

Mark Donnelly is an ex classmate of HC's from the music programme at McGill.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Boom and Armchair_QB's favorite coach, John Gagliardi, all-time winningest coach in college, etc., always tries setting up female students in his Football Theory classes with offensive linemen. He had a quote in the Times:

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

On a related note, Tosh had the little girl who looked like Jodie Foster who forgot the words and was saved my Mo Cheeks several years ago.
    1. she did a very nice rendition of the anthem on Tosh's show.
    B. She grew up to be quite beautiful.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're confusing potential with ability.

Somewhere, maybe in a Smithsonian storage room or in a display at some Washington museum, do we have the song as Francis Scott Key wrote it? You can sing it up to two seconds faster or two seconds slower, but do it within this window and your own versions are not permitted. What's so hard to understand?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This post. Huh?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The guy who sings the anthem at Blackhawks games sang it both Bears playoff games and fucking nailed it. One of the better renditions I've heard.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

as her many fans have testified here, christina is talented, no question. she packs a powerful, powerful voice in that tiny body. but her legion of defenders/handlers/enablers have to come to grips with the fact she's been a struggling artist for several years now and i have to wonder if being an unprofessional diva has contributed to her spiral (along with poor song choices. bad management, the usual suspects).

because more than anything else this performance reeks of unprofessionalism -- terrible preparation, uncontainable ego, incredibly awful judgment/taste/acumen.

aguielera had MONTHS to prepare for this. she's done thousands of live performances since she was 7; i'd guess her concerts since becoming a star feature her singing, what, 15 songs a night? i'd think she gets through those shows without 'misremembering' the lyrics to any of the drivel she warbles.

i'm guessing her handlers thought this was a chance to get her career back on track, a shot at her 'whitney' moment. so the best those brainiacs and she could come up with was that unlistenable arrangement? and her preparation to nail
    ONE DARN SONG without flubbing the words -- A SONG SHE'S BEEN SINGING SINCE SHE WAS 7, WE'RE TOLD -- and this is what what she gives us? what she gives herself?

hey, sports and entertainment are chock-filled with comeback stories, so i'm not gonna say christina kissed the rest of her career goodbye. but for foreseeable future, to non-christina fans, she'll be the singer who butchered the anthem at the super bowl.

how difficult to overcome is a tag like that? i dunno. but has janet jackson had any hit since her wardrobe malfunction?

and this was much more damning of the artist than that was; is it too much to expect a singer hired to perform ONE FREAKIN' SONG to get through it cleanly? gosh, i hope our expectations haven't sunk that low...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You forgot to say she was dressed like she was going to a wake.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Whenever I hear people gripe that singers are singing the national anthem "the way it's supposed to be sung," I'm reminded of this:

The problem isn't that people mess with the traditional arrangement. It's that people sometimes mess with the arrangement and fuck the whole thing up.

Changing the arrangement's fine if you can pull it off.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I wonder if Russians were this outraged when Nikolai Volkoff butchered the Soviet National Anthem on Saturday Night's Main Event?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You know the Rougeaus were waving their tiny U.S. flags in anger over Aguilera's effort.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Rumors have been circulating regarding Aguilera's possible drinking/prescription drug problems. She has supposedly been exhibiting some pretty odd behavior for a while now (I linked one article below). Based on the fact she has appeared professional in so many past events, I would actually worry more about her health than her diva behavior.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/07/christina-aguilera-staffe_n_819837.html

Draft saved Draft deleted