1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear National Anthem singers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

This link's for you, Baron!

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I have the air force band's version as a back up for games I announce. Total time with drum roll is 1:14. There is no slowing down at the end. The fermata isn't supposed to be held on long near the end. And it's in 3/4. Perfect. If you take more than 90 seconds to sing the song you did it wrong. Period.

I can't imagine other countries' anthems being sung interpetitively. Why ours.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Long ago, I timed the Providence College pep band at 55 seconds. Sounded strong and vigorous.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Just once, I'd like to hear the second, third or fourth verse sung. Those three don't end with a question mark, but everyone in the arena will be wondering what just happened.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

She actually sang it at Game 6 of the NBA Finals last year, and did such a good job - and the Lakers won so they liked the luck - that she also did it for Game 7.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Golden State had a guy who did that in the 70s. Great pipes. Can't remember his name, but for some reason I thought about him the other night when forced to stand up yet again before a high school game ...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This.
    I love covering games, standing near officials and listening to the collective groan by the word "say" as the singer sets the timing.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Was it Joe Kay that timed national anthems and kept a logbook detailing the times?

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/02/26/insider/index.html

I miss Dr. Z.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I wonder if she was a bit sick.

11. So do I. Best advice he gave? Always talk to the offensive linemen if you want to learn why they won or lost.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every team I ever covered the offensive linemen were the most accessible and the best quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted